Help needed with internet video for ARISS contacts

Discussion and Planning for Events and Streaming Activity
g8gtz

Help needed with internet video for ARISS contacts

Post by g8gtz » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:32 pm

I received the following from Stefan ON6TI
As you are aware we are currently working on "internet-based conferences" for ARISS contacts.

One aspect of it is that the video of the conference (between schools/students, ground station, moderator ..) can also be used for public streaming.

On my last contact EU#505 I used a "GoTo Meeting" to connect all students (at home) to the ground station (AB1OC); we used the video to feed it to the YouTube channel of the school and advertised this to the public.

We had a "proficient" teacher that managed this task (using OBC) and it was a success. For some other contacts this was done by Steve in the US.

If we are going to use more and more this (due to Covid ...) then we need more and more experts in video editing/production. Would BATC volunteers be able to support us? It is easier for European contacts to use in similar time zones rather than ask Steve to get up in the middle of the night.

Typically the person would use the video coming from the conference stream and edit it before public streaming, e.g. show the "student" and the "astronaut" during the contact itself, add subtitles (translated questions, names ...), insert small videos (during the intro) ... he/she would be included in the planning in a similar way as ground stations are selected: based on proposed time slots that they accept ...

Part of the job would also include establishing some "artistic" and "technical" guidelines as we want the streaming to be used also for PR ...

So can you please forward this within BATC. If you have further questions you can always contact me.

73 ON6TI
I know from experience that working on ARISS contacts can be a very rewarding experience. If anyone is interested and able to help, please reply here and I'll forward it to Stefan.

Noel - G8GTZ

Return to “Events”