Raspberry Pi Remote Login

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV repeater builders
rogerg4oco

Raspberry Pi Remote Login

Post by rogerg4oco » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 am

Our local repeater (GB3NQ) uses a Raspberry Pi as a test card generator and I am after the capability to remote login, via a 4 G dongle.

Is anybody using such a combination, of remote login via a dongle into a computer controlling a repeater. So what hardware, software etc do you use, as I want to amend, alter the software on the machine, thank you.

P5

Roger G4OCO

G8DKC

Re: Raspberry Pi Remote Login

Post by G8DKC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Roger,

I use a Huawei Kanguru, loads of "mobile wifi" out there, you put in your sim card and create a wifi access point.

The Wi-Fi device should show up in the Pi Wi-Fi list and you can setup SSID name and password.

You will need a "Dynamic DNS" account so that you can always find your pi when service provider ip address changes.

Have a look at https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-port-forwarding/ there is a section on Pi dydns.

You should be able to access your menu and change various options, one thing, useful to have over the air h/w restart, if it all goes wrong :)

Not always easy to explain, others may give you a more helpful answer, maybe dongle plugged into Pi?

Peter
Last edited by G8DKC on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerg4oco

Post by rogerg4oco » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:11 pm

Peter

Thank you and an awful lot to read!

P5

Roger

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:52 pm

OK Roger,

Just checked the mobile Wi-Fi was misspelt, now corrected, "Huawei Kanguru"...

Best of luck.

Peter

aerostar

Post by aerostar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:43 am

Actually you do not need to mess with port forwarding or Dynamic DNs.

I dislike RealVnc so get rid of the RealVnc on the PI, as others are better.

Put Teamviewer on the PI (yes there is a PI version) and/or the remot3.it application. (https://www.remot3.it/web/remot3-it-con ... ry-pi.html)

I have both on my PIs, and both work quite well.

If you put X11VNC on the Pi, then you can vnc into the actual current desktop screen not a new one, Install the remot3.it PI application and set up an account and what protocols you would like to use, once done on the Pi, you log in to remot3.it from your PC desktop/laptop , it will show your unit on line then you can choose what protocol to use, ssh (putty) or vnc, a link is then given to past into putty or VNC and off you go, they also give you the option of using their flash vnc viewer.

I would also say be careful of the Oval shaped Mifi/GSM units as some when the power is cut revert to battery and when that is flat, or switches off, you have to switch on again by pushing a button on the front, difficult when it is on site and miles away.

I use an MF823 dongle plugged in to Pi, bought from here eBay item number:292314361407

If you want wi fi then there are similar USB type dongles with Wifi and USB and have no on/off buttons - that should solve power the problem on power outages (example - NOT a recommendation as have not tried one (eBay item number:183242301282).

Data Sim, I am waiting for eBay item number: 273585836456 which gives 200MB data free per month and apparently no top up needed, cheap to try, not much to lose.

if you are likely to use lots of data then there is a THREE 12GB data sim for around £28 from MY Memory (cheapest offer when last looked) and will last for 12 months or you used 12 Gb before 12 months.

Bob

Also make sure you have good Power supply or use the units with a decent powered hub.

Info links
for PI 2
http://apachepersonal.miun.se/~muhimr/i ... B_plus.pdf

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi Bob & Roger,

I've played with remote control software / desktop for years, and have my favourites.

It's great to see fresh ideas, I've ordered the unlocked dongle to play with a spare Pi.

This maybe ideal for your setup Roger.

My idea is a remote control DATV-Express :-)

Just thought, better put a timer in Express 12v feed...

Peter

Return to “ATV Repeater Technical Topics”