Internet connected only repeaters

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV repeater builders
Mike-G8DLX

Re: Internet connected only repeaters

Post by Mike-G8DLX » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 am

Hi.

Thanks for all the comments.

It’s good to hear that progress is being made with some of the repeaters in the area but obviously these are receiving on higher bands and the paths are not that good for some of the local area.

One of the aims is to try and get others in the area interested and ultimately active in our side of the hobby, this is more likely to happen with a local system particularly at the location we are thinking of. The use of a simple and cost effective receive system could encourage others to have a go at some construction and give it a go themselves.

I need to discuss this further with others in the area and hopefully we can make some rapid progress on this project.

Thanks

Mike – G8DLX

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:35 am

Hi All,

When GB3GQ comes on air near Coalville NW Leicestershire the 3.4Ghz output is a possible option to get a "23cms Style" repeater on air.

I hope we can offer choice of inputs and modes to provide a good service, as GB3RT (GB3ET) GB3GV and GB3GQ,

can all see each others sites at P5, so linking no problem, like minded people working together :-)

The input on 2.4Ghz is also part of the deal with Ofcom, so I hope to have the same inputs as 23cms repeaters as others already licenced.

E.G Rx frequencies the 2.4Ghz, 1.249Ghz, 437Mhz, and the 5.665Ghz analogue easy entry into ATV.

We could have a go at reduced bandwidth 437, 146.5, 71Mhz. also DVB-S2 H265 as GB3ZZ on 1249 437 Etc, to extend our range.

John M1CNJ at Edge Hill is a 23cms fan like myself and it's a pity that we are having problems getting repeater licences.

We have the streamer to watch our signals coming back if 3.4Ghz Rx a problem, distance obstructions Etc.

Peter

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:00 pm

I would like to get an idiots guide or wiki on how to setup an internet only repeater.
We lost our last analogue repeater 5 years ago and I am not getting much buy in on setting up again.
If I can setup an internet only repeater, a few select locals here and many BATC members having access, with a stream to the BATC site I can use it for demonstrations and education while promoting the new DATV project.

I have a lot of parts just laying around (RPis, repeater hat, and more) so just need some guidance and advice on getting up and running as quickly as possible.

My thanks in advance
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:30 am

Andy,
This page describes how to use a Portsdown to stream to the BATC streamer;
https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Streaming_to_b ... spberry_Pi
This is how most UK repeaters stream their content. You just need the Raspberry Pi and EZcap dongle and the necessary set up can be done in console mode using a terminal programme like Putty. There is an option to key the stream as people access or just leave it on continuously.
You then need a receiver with some form of detection to tell when it is accessed. For analogue, use a sync detector. For digital, look for a satellite receiver with a lock lamp and use a photocell circuit to detect when it lights up.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

KA5BBC

Post by KA5BBC » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:05 pm

What I am trying to build is an entirely iATV system, no RF input at this time, to be able to get things rolling and develop interest in the RF based system that we are building. (I don't want to spend thousands just to have it sit idle)
I know that it possible thanks to the BATC update videos on YouTube.. In just need someone smarter and more experienced than we to guide me as to how.
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:50 am

Hi folks,

Yesterday I completed the build of a new Internet Repeater which will be co-sited with 2m repeater GB3EV at IO84sq. The line up is a Minitiouner V2 and a Ryde feeding composite to a Pi3 running Portsdown software via an EasyCap. The stream will be active on reception of a valid signal or for 5 minutes an hour showing a slideshow of testcards/site photos, this provided by a BATC Video Source controlled by an Arduino Nano. There are limited DTMF facilities, audio taken from the Ryde, currently only triggering the Ryde OSD (6=on 9=off) but hopefully this will be expanded. The RX will scan 1249MHz with sample rates of 250, 333, 500 and 1000KS/s, connected to an Alford Slot. It is intended to get the aerial erected in the next few weeks as it is still to be weatherproofed.

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

Return to “ATV Repeater Technical Topics”