Repeater interference by drones/quadcopters

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV repeater builders
G8NZR

Repeater interference by drones/quadcopters

Post by G8NZR » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:00 pm

GB3YT has recently been suffering from interference from a local drone/quadcopter using frequencies very close to the repeater input frequency. The signal is analogue and is close enough to open the repeater causing spurious transmissions to take place.

I am interested to know if any other repeaters are suffering from similar types of interference?

73 Kay, G8NZR

G1LPS Terry

Re: Repeater interference by drones/quadcopters

Post by G1LPS Terry » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi Kay
It accesses GB3KM also on 1280mhz
Regards
Terry G1LPS

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi Kay,

Yes we get this down at GB3GV, 2 or 3 times a month, never a clear picture to see the ground below,
probably very close but on the filter edge, the 1249 Rx has afc so follows the signal.

Peter

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Hi Kay,

Yes we have had quadcopters accessing GB3TZ from the very local Dunstable Downs. They seem to have stopped now; probably due to the gliding club at the foot of the downs. I guess they have been warned off.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks for the comments so far - Looks like we are not alone then! :(

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:39 am

I have been unsuccessful in a back door approach to Ofcom so suggest you all fill in this form - seems to be the only one remotely relevant:
https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/for ... nersReport

Suggest you mention that whilst it is causing interference to your repeater you are very concerned that it may also be causing interference to safety of life systems operated by the primary user in this band.

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 pm

In my naivety I thought the GV interference was coming from a hill used for leisure purposes by the locals.

Yesterday I managed to beam onto the signal at 1.239Ghz, read the grid reference from the P5 picture and found it 25 miles away to the north up in the Derbyshire hills :?

Will pass this on to Nigel GV's Keeper.

Looking at the 50-60 Miles between GB3YT and GV possibly the same machine, usually on mid to late afternoon?

Peter

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:01 pm

I think the YT interference is local as I'm sure we recognised the River Calder running through Mirfield. This is about half a mile away from the repeater. From what I have read, the drone video transmitters only radiate 800mW, so I don't think its going to be the same one over that sort of distance - although it is often mid afternoon when it happens. Since the drone frequency is slightly off YTs receive frequency, our picture is very grainy and difficult to see the GPS co-ordinates.

I'll take a look at the form Noel suggests and get one into Ofcom.

73 Kay

Return to “ATV Repeater Technical Topics”