Activity Weekends and SOTA

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
radiogareth

Activity Weekends and SOTA

Post by radiogareth » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Thinking out loud here....(so feel free to suggest I shut up!).
I've followed the SOTA concept pretty much since its inception although I'm probably the least active SOTA operator I know.
Info here if you are wondering....https://www.sota.org.uk/
Many of us operate from local (or not so local) high-spots many or all of which will be listed SOTA summits. And we operate radio gear when we get there.
The difference is we will often operate from vehicles and use external power (generators/vehicle battery with engine running) and that the gear is either in, or attached to, (or both) a vehicle. Other than that our objectives are the same. Go to high places and operate radio from them.
Seems a shame we couldn't join in with the scheme in some way, although the concept of 'shack sloth' (a home based operator who listens for and works active SOTA stations) could perhaps be extended to include a mobile shack.
Anything to increase activity must be good.....
Gareth G4XAT

M0YDH

Re: Activity Weekends and SOTA

Post by M0YDH » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:23 pm

Hi Gareth
The club's people are innovating to such an extent that one or two SOTA activators could soon carry their Portsdown / Long Mynd gear, modest power amp, lithium batteries and an aerial or two in one or two rucksacks up to some interesting places. Alastair M0TYM and I often go out as a team as we're both very experienced activators and we might be able to move the kit up and down some 1, 2 and 4 point summits.
5.6GHz FM ATV is activated from Kirby Moor G/LD-049 with those nice fellows in Cumbria from time to time. They've qualified the hill using TV IIRC. G/SE-001 and C/CE-004 receive visits from Noel and co but they don't leave the car.

A little help would be a nice request from BATC to the SOTA management team to add ATV and DATV as permitted modes in SOTAWatch and SOTA database. :) Perhaps sponsor a challenge?
John G7JTT showed me a tiny DATV setup with a small computer that he'd come up with. I'd like to activate Cadair Berwyn GW/NW-012 for the 7th time but in vision - one day.

73 and a safe descent
David M0YDH
SOTA Mountain Goat in 2016

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”