October activity weekend - Cumbria

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
m0khz

October activity weekend - Cumbria

Post by m0khz » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 am

I'm new here...
New to ATV, starting to pull together a Portsdown system and looking to 'pick-up knowledge'...
Is there anyone planning to participate in the October activity weekend in or around Cumbria, I'd love to pop along and start to understand /P setups...
I'm based in West Cumbria - Egremont.
73's
Kevin - M0KHZ

radiogareth

Re: October activity weekend - Cumbria

Post by radiogareth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm too far south I'm afraid, but with the forecast not looking bad I can be active on Sunday with 4 & 2 from IO91XH Woldingham North Downs with good takeoff in most directions.
So who else is out playing?
Gareth G4XAT

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 pm

m0khz wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 am
I'm new here...
New to ATV, starting to pull together a Portsdown system and looking to 'pick-up knowledge'...
Is there anyone planning to participate in the October activity weekend in or around Cumbria, I'd love to pop along and start to understand /P setups...
I'm based in West Cumbria - Egremont.
73's
Kevin - M0KHZ
Having been brought up around there I can confirm Egremont is very remote from everywhere, surrounded by mountains in all directions where there might be activity. Unless you go up the fells e.g. Corney Fell where you have a clear shot to GI/GM/GD it's likely to be difficult.

However, satellite has no such issues so getting on the QO100 might be your best option.

Mike

m0khz

Post by m0khz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi Mike

Yes I'm sure your right, QO100 is probably my best option, there are a few in the Barrow area active /p on the higher bands but can't find anyone closer... Still interested in getting out and about when the weather is fine.... The main issue with QO100 is the XYL's not to happy about a large dish in the garden....

Kevin

g8gtz

Re: October activity weekend

Post by g8gtz » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Don't know why but I've not given much thought to the ATV activity weekend this month.

I am around on Saturday but currently no plans.

On Sunday I will be out for the last 24Ghz and up NB contest this year and could take some TV gear - not sure where yet but probably some site south of the M4!

Noel - G8GTZ

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:51 am

m0khz wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm
Hi Mike

Yes I'm sure your right, QO100 is probably my best option, there are a few in the Barrow area active /p on the higher bands but can't find anyone closer... Still interested in getting out and about when the weather is fine.... The main issue with QO100 is the XYL's not to happy about a large dish in the garden....

Kevin
A 1.2m dish isn't that large. Depending where you are you might have a clear shot to GI and also to North Wales where there are some repeaters. Worth a few quick profile checks.

Mike

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 am

I'll be around from home on 2m/23cm monitoring .750 but no plans for portable this time.
Unfortunately the Pennines get in the way to the west from all of my /P sites.

Heavy rain forecast Saturday and only around 5C on the hill tops! BUT if there is anyone IO93/IO94 wanting a qso i'll be happy to go out.

Rob
M0DTS

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”