5 Ghz from Norfolk

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
G8JAN

5 Ghz from Norfolk

Post by G8JAN » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:52 pm

As long as conditions last this week I intend to transmit 5Ghz ATV from my home QTH most evenings from about 7 to 10 PM starting this evening Sunday.Transmissions will be at random intervals on 5.665 Ghz. The antennas will be fixed pointing from post code PE389PG roughly in the direction of ENFIELD.
There will be no talk back but please post any pictures seen on here and I will do likewise .Owing to the height of the antennas the chances of seeing anything are small but its worth a try.

Pete G8JAN QTHR

G8JAN

Re: 5 Ghz from Norfolk

Post by G8JAN » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:21 pm

Having spent most of the summer deciding what to do with 5GHZ whether to makeup some portable gear or set up a fixed station at my home QTH I've done both.

My home set up is 2 X 16 Dbi Squarials on my mast which can be raised to about 35 ft making them about 85- 90 ft ASL. The TX antenna has a short length of solid coax about 7 inches long to a 600Mw TX module. The RX set up is a similar configuration. 9VDC is supplied to both modules via independent switching manually operated so no expensive change over relays. Video up to and down from both modules is via ordinary phono plugs on a 40 + foot length of double coax wire used for extension speakers. There is no discernible deterioration of video quality.

Independent manual switching means that I can monitor the out going video via my receiver. So far it hasn't caused any problems with the receiver front end! I have made up a control box which allows for various video sources to be fed up to the transmitter module. Video down loaded from the receiver can either be switched to a monitor or fed via an Easycap adaptor and a USB port into a computer. The incoming video is fed to a NCH DEBUT program which is freeware. This has several processing and recording options and has the advantage of receiving noise when no video signal is being received hence no blue screen problems. The out going transmission of video is of excellent quality as is the demodulated incoming video. Transmissions so far have only been made to about 4 and a half miles across the Fens with BBC quality. I desperately need a contact further afield!

My portable set up is still being revised. I will probably end up with two 24 inch offset dishes fed with bi-quad drivers. These are simple to make and have been found to give excellent gain. I have a 2.5 watt PA Which I have yet to utilize. For DC power I have seen several car starting Boxes at rallies for around £10. I managed to find one for £5 in good condition but needing a new battery so I replaced the battery with a 9 amp 12 volt SLA. One of the advantages of these boxes is that they usually have a 6 volt and a 12 volt output plus assorted lights---ideal for finding DX at night time! A simple volts dropper gives me a choice of lower voltages.

When it comes to tripods obviously something sturdy is required. I bought a beautifully made geared tripod used for stage lighting. This is very sturdy and must originally have cost a lot of money. When I bought it the seller included another small tripod equally of the same quality. Luckily he did as the larger of the two is too heavy to take portable but ideal for experiments at home so generally that was a good deal.

Someone was recently asking about antennas. A rally trader has been selling brand new Squarials for 5 ghz WIFI at £25. I bought two and got a discount. Interestingly they are sold as having 16 Dbi gain. That is a nominal figure. one shows 16Dbi at 5.660Ghz while the other shows 24 Dbi at the same frequency. Being new and boxed each has a certificate of tested gain and SWR. Additionally they are marked to show the direction of polarization.

You may find the trader on the flea market at the RSGB rally next week end. Good luck.

If anyone would like to set up a sked with "Mr Lonely" of West Norfolk please drop me an email it's an ATV desert around here! :D :D :D

g8jan@waitrose.com

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”