ATV talkback for activity days / contests

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
g8gtz

ATV talkback for activity days / contests

Post by g8gtz » Thu May 24, 2018 2:52 pm

Talkback always seem to be a bit of an issue with both TV and Microwaves in general. Currently we use the following:

144.750 FM - Horizontal or vertical? Whilst fine for local talkback it actually may not go as far as the TV signals unless you run big beams! Then the beams can be large and unless you are running 146MHz, just one more thing to remember and you have to work out how to switch between t/b and 146 TV - plus it doesn't work when Tx on 146.

www.dxspot.tv - whilst a very useful facility, it requires a PC (which may be in use for MiniTuoiner) and an internet connection of at least 3G - not always easy when on a high top.

Mobile phones / text - work OK but is one to one and you can't call CQ!

In the future, we may be able to use an FM channel on the geostationary satellite - but this would require more kit and another dish!

One thing we all seem to carry is a mobile phone and probably a smartphone and it has been suggested that we should try Whatsapp as a TV talkback facility - I am already in a local group of 24GHzers and ARISS operations group and it seems to work well both before and during an event. Benefits include:

Multiple group chat - with the ability to mute the bing noise on each group - and one to one chat.

Basic chat seems to operate on very low bandwidth connections (E).

Available on all smartphones and Windows PCs (you need a mobile account to run it on a PC).

Whatsapp seems relatively harmless and has free national and international coverage.

What do people think - we could set up Southern, North West, North East and Midland groups plus a National group which you call CQ on and you mute everything apart from the National and your own area group. All it takes is one person to set up each group then invite people to join.

Just an idea....
73 Noel

M5TXJ

Re: ATV talkback for activity days / contests

Post by M5TXJ » Thu May 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi Noel,
Whatsapp sounds good to me, I think I'm going to need all the help I can get!
73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu May 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Sounds sensible.

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Thu May 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Lets give it a try!

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Thu May 24, 2018 7:02 pm

Well folks, :idea: I'm in N Cumbria so I guess that makes me in the N West, so if anyone else considers themselves in the N West or somewhere that I might possibly work (NE area?) send me your mobile number by PM and I'll set up a group chat.
73 Dave.

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sat May 26, 2018 4:35 am

Great idea and not forgetting our continental friends as well, as whatsapp has no boarders unlike phoning/texting aboard. 👍

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Sat May 26, 2018 10:23 am

I'm up for this (although not yet operational, should be, very soon). As a 'North-Wester', I'll pass on my deals to Dave M5TXJ, is anyone co-ordinating the 'National' list?

John G8PEF

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Sat May 26, 2018 11:45 am

NW Group now formed, only 3 so far but it's a start.

73 Dave

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Mon May 28, 2018 12:15 pm

The Yorkshire ATVers can confirm that Whatsapp does indeed work well for talkback or establishing the original contact.

A local Whatsapp group was set up some years back between the regulars, but a larger group or other small groups for different areas would be needed.

You will need anyone/everyone in your phonebook to be able to use it so there will need to be a list of ATVers details held/displayed somewhere.
How would this be achieved considering the latest GDPR conditions?
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Mon May 28, 2018 2:51 pm

As far as I'm aware, a group of individuals who share their contact details isn't affected by GDPR otherwise you wouldn't be able to store anyone's number in your phone. This isn't a club or organisation even though the participants in the group chat may or may not be part of one. It can also be argued that by giving your number you are consenting to the group having that information. I understand the thinking behind GDPR but it really is being wrongly focused by many.
73 Dave.

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”