ATV talkback for activity days / contests

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
Wolfie G8VAT

Re: ATV talkback for activity days / contests

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 pm

OK let me put it in another way... HOW would you get someones details if you didn't already know them or how to contact them with a phone No, Whatsapp, or are out of Radio range?

It means exchanging details via a common medium (probably via the Forum).

But Yeh, I can see that mentioning GDPR probably wasn't really applicable unless the Club itself were displaying user details..
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:55 pm

The latest issue of PW has two articles about Network Radio. This is using mobile phones like walkie-talkies with a PTT feature like a radio. There are two apps which would give us radio style comms using a mobile phone, Zello and IRN (Internet Radio Network). These might also be worth exploring. There is also an Android app called HamGPS which gives you your QRA as you move about. It is really very neat.
73 Shaun.

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 am

I've recently been using Zello, and it works very well - if you're somewhere with cellular data coverage... If planning on using it for talkback, etc. It would be sensible to visit your intended operating sites, and make sure that there's good enough coverage on the network of your choice. If you have a 'radio' rather than a mobile, then you will be at an advantage, as most seem to take two SIM cards, giving a choice of network - the downside being that you have to keep track which SIM needs to have credit, or have two contracts.

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 am

I've recently been using Zello, and it works very well - if you're somewhere with cellular data coverage... If planning on using it for talkback, etc. It would be sensible to visit your intended operating sites, and make sure that there's good enough coverage on the network of your choice. If you have a 'radio' rather than a mobile, then you will be at an advantage, as most seem to take two SIM cards, giving a choice of network - the downside being that you have to keep track which SIM needs to have credit, or have two contracts.

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:02 am

We are trying Zello at home.

Great app once you get used to the way it works etc.

I like the idea adding Zello to laptop, audio in out to operate a TRX with Vox 144.750 talkback.

Would like to compliment talkback rather than exclude with the mobile phone, the Nemesis of our hobby.

Must have a play...

Peter

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 pm

For future reference I've just created an "ATV North" Zello group. May come in handy next year as more and more ATV kit comes intro the air in these parts, I'll have more bands from my Portsdown as well as 5.6GHz. G7ITT and hopefully G4EXD will be QRV with Portsdowns too.

73 Dave M5TXJ
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”