Online topographic map

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
Wolfie G8VAT

Online topographic map

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:46 pm

I daresay most of you guys already have some working method in place for checking where is a great location to stroke Pee from.. But just in case like.. I found this online map as a result of some idle driving around.

We were killing some time in the Yorkshire Alps last night when suddenly VL (Lincoln) popped up on the car's resident Sat Receiver (111Km! not bad from Halifax), looking around the place I figured it would make a great place to play ATV next time around, it's around 10 miles further than my usual spot and 900ft higher (over 1400ASL) according to this Topo website. There's a huge car park (if open) or the car park gateway (if not).

http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/England-66577/

It looks down on Rob's usual location.. :lol:
Last edited by Wolfie G8VAT on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G4EWJ

Re: Online topographic map

Post by G4EWJ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm

I just got a map of the whole country from that link. It didn't zoom in anywhere.

Brian

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 pm

There should be a little +- in the bottom right corner... there is when I look at it..
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 pm

There is, but it zooms in to Cheadle in Cheshire. If I change the number in the link slightly, it does zoom in by itself - 66578 gives Bristol.

Brian

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Just drag it, like any other map on the web to centre it. Not sure how useful it is though as Google Earth does the same with a lot more information available. Not clear what the resolution is but I don't think its especially high - not the 1 arcsecond (~30m) database. Note most of the good radio sites are in the sites.dat database. Its useful to plot these on google Earth which can be done with a bit of KML.

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 am

Unfortunately from home our narrowband isn't fast enough to render google erf properly, sometimes up to a minute or so display the planet at the start.. sometimes I just fall asleep waiting for stuff. :D
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:16 am

Been using this for some time and found the site I used 10 days ago to work the 85Km 5.6GHz path.

The correct link is: http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/ where you can enter any town name - I run it at 130% zoom in Firefox to give a reasonable size image.

What we really need is some wizz with Google map overlays to give us one map to do everything as the process I use is:

* Use this one to find a site that might be useful

* Open up and find it in Google maps and go to street view and check to see if there are local obstructions and some where to park

* Go to radio mobile to check coverage

* Open up the portable site map https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... -HE2sxqL0c to spot it so I and others can find it later.

* Finally if it is any good open up the French Google maps overlay to find the QRA!

There's a link to the topographic map and other useful mapping sites on the wiki here: https://wiki.batc.tv/Mapping_tools

73 Noel

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 am

That's pretty much what I did with the various sites the other night, even though I'd actually been there just a few hours earlier, it's surprising just how much I'd missed.
But even Google Maps can be pretty iffy at times.

Tempting to buy a big antenna and see if I can piggy back the free WiFi from the Village Pub or Stores.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”