Thursday 22nd Dec - potential activity

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
g8vpg

Re: Thursday 22nd Dec - potential activity

Post by g8vpg » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 am

On 22nd December 2016, a small group assembled near the peak of the Mendips Hills in Somerset, IO81PH, 310m. These were Noel G8GTZ, Viv G1IXE, Ivor G1IXF, Brian G6AUR and myself. We had set up a sked with Brian G3NWR/P who was at Winter Hill and the aim was to try and work a 255km path with 2m RB-TV.
The weather was dry and bright, with a cold breeze, although we did get some light rain later in the day. Conditions however were flat, with talkback varying between 57 and lost in the noise.

We tried sending and receiving with 333ks/s, but nothing was received at either end. I then tried 125ks/s and Brian saw some carrier and symbol lock. After several overs by Noel and myself, I sent a long transmission for nearly 15 minutes at 125ks/s and during this, Brian was able to capture a few seconds of locked video. Unfortunately, Brian could only send 333ks/s and we could not make it a two way, but 255km one way was a very satisfactory result for flat conditions when talkback was a struggle at times.
For the first time, I assembled all my gear by the back seat of the car and this made operating much more comfortable, especially when we had a shower!

We did not hear any other stations, although I know some of you were monitoring. I apologise that we did not beam East, but truthfully we were fully occupied trying to work Brian. Also, this site is partially obstructed to the East by a large above ground water reservoir with earth banked sides, which you can just see to the right of the photograph. This means that our aerials only clear the top by a few feet and the areas where we can park and avoid it are either behind locked gates or a quagmire!
According to the propagation predictions, next week will bring another lift, Thursday 29th December looking good at present. This might be just what we need to make this path, and perhaps others to the North, work. I will be available again to go /portable to the Mendips and look forward to hearing if anyone else is also available.

Our aiming point North is straight over Bristol Lulsgate airport terminal buildings.
Thanks to everyone who made an effort to come out for the second time in December and brave the cold! A Happy Christmas to all ATVers!
73 Shaun G8VPG.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Well done Shaun

I was driving up to Winter hill. I am there now with 2m NB DATV set up and waiting for some signals.

Mike

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Mike, when the wind drops, I'll set up a temporary 2m beam here.

Brian

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:04 pm

Although Winter Hill is not far from home, this was my first visit. I chose Matchmoor Lane as the best site for a southerly takeoff. Shortly after I had parked up, Andy G7ROM arrived unexpectedly and helped with the setup. It was very breezy and it was difficult to keep the beam heading steady.

I quickly spoke to Shaun G8VPG/P on the Mendips, which showed there was deep QSB from S9 to nothing in the flat conditions. I tried to receive him on 333 and 125kS without success. I then tried with Noel G8GTZ/P on 125kS at the same location, with the same results. I transmitted to them on 333kS, but they couldn't receive me.

Shaun then made a longer transmission at 125kS. On several occasions, the signal locked up and appeared to be about to display a picture, but then lock was lost. Finally, a massive 4 seconds of perfect video came through. I transmitted again at 333kS to try and make it a 2 way, but no luck. The distance was 255km.

The tropo forecast for Wednesday / Thursday next week looks good, so I'm keen to try the path again.

Brian
Winter Hill4.png
Winter Hill4.png (374.11 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Photo0327b.jpg
Photo0327b.jpg (201.78 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Photo0330b.jpg
Photo0330b.jpg (239.74 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Last edited by G4EWJ on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:11 am

G4EWJ wrote:Mike, when the wind drops, I'll set up a temporary 2m beam here.

Brian
Thanks - a vertical would be better - not sure I can get my beam round to the Wirral any more and as you are line of sight we won't need the gain.

Mike

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:27 am

Excellent work at both ends of the path, well done.
Just shows that perseverance works eventually...hi

I heard Shaun and Noel on .750 quite a bit when passing the shack but not strong.

Rob

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”