Software Installation and Virgin Media Problems

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Software Installation and Virgin Media Problems

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Virgin Media (and possibly some other ISPs) halfheartedly block access to GitHub, and this can cause difficulties during installation or update of the Portsdown Transmitter software.
DNS Error.JPG
DNS Error.JPG (33.24 KiB) Viewed 26731 times
The symptoms are that you receive an error after entering the wget line: 'GnuTLS: A TLS fatal alert has been received.' If (only if) you get this error, paste the following command in, and press return.

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/^#name_servers.*/name_servers=8.8.8.8/' /etc/resolvconf.conf
Then reboot, and try again. The command asks your RPi to use Google's DNS, not your ISP's DNS.

Dave, G8GKQ

Steve-G8JZT

Re: Software Installation and Virgin Media Problems

Post by Steve-G8JZT » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi it seems my ISP (BT) also blocks Github so added the sudo command and rebooted then re entered the wget command. Now it attempts to make a connection but fails due to time out. I have left it to try a number of times but to no avail. Can you advise please. Steve G8JZT

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi Steve

Please could you post a screenshot of the wget command and the response that you are getting (like the one above)? This will help me work out what's wrong and help everybody else.

Thanks

Dave, G8GKQ

Steve-G8JZT

Post by Steve-G8JZT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Hi Dave thanks for coming back to me, this is a screen dump of the response I get after initially using the wget command and getting the fatal error, then using the sudo command, rebooting and using the wget command again
rpidump.JPG
rpidump.JPG (77.65 KiB) Viewed 26631 times
Hope it's readable thanks again
Steve G8JZT

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am

Hi Steve

The IP address that BT are sending you to is their "BT Web Protect and BT Parental Controls" warning page. It has sensed that you are trying to get round their controls by using Google's DNS. Please use the undo command below and then paste another screenshot of the original error message.

Edit: Here's the "undo" command for the Virgin Media fix. It returns the RPi to its original settings.

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i 's/^name_servers=8.*/#name_servers=127.0.0.1/' /etc/resolvconf.conf
NOTE FOR OTHER USERS: Do not try the "Virgin Media fix" if BT is your ISP and you have web protect or parental controls enabled.

Dave, G8GKQ

Steve-G8JZT

Post by Steve-G8JZT » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Dave here is the screen shot of the original message
RPiss.JPG
RPiss.JPG (59.17 KiB) Viewed 26526 times
As you pointed out this was caused by BT web protect the solution was to log in to my BT and turn off Web Protect/parental controls, all was then ok and the download worked fine.

Many thanks for your help
Steve G8JZT

Return to “Archive”