DigiLite with Raspberry Pi

M0DTS

Re: DigiLite with Raspberry Pi

Post by M0DTS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:51 am

My camera would not work first either, then i figured out I had plugged the camera into the wrong socket on the board!!!!

In raspi-config you can set it to GB keyboard (generic) and locale, saves a lot of trouble.

Rob

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:58 am

It is a real shame they did not include an accelerated audio codec for the co-processor.
I would be interested if anyone manages to multiplex in audio with the h.264 video
and how fast they can get it to run.

I am working on the Express version of this. I have all the TS - DVB-S coding running in
the FPGA. To the PI Express simply looks like a UDP socket. I have set-up my PI as a
WiFi access point using hostapd. I also having it running Apache web server so I can
log into it from my iPad. Currently a web page is displayed with a transmit and receive button
pressing one or other of the buttons triggers some Python code via CGI to send a message to
the Express daemon via a named pipe.

I also have a Leopardboard 368 to play with. http://beagleboard.org/leopard
This has accelerated video / audio (MPEG2/MPEG4) and can have inputs for
composite / component video and web cam. It also supports composite / HDMI output.

So far I have managed to build Linux for it using the Ridgerun SDK
https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/ind ... oard_DM365
https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/ind ... opardBoard

Reading through the small print seems to indicate the licence is for evaluation purposes only.
So while this should make an excellent embedded board for DATV distributing the software
to others will probably not be possible.

If I can get this stuff to work I hope to have something to show in September.

- Charles

P.S I am sorry for ambushing this thread.

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:15 pm

I've checked the camera connections at both ends and watched the installation video again, but still no camera.

I upgraded my standard RPi installation to get the camera option in raspi-config, but raspistill isn't there and it looks like you have to obtain the source code and possibly install a compiler to get it. Are there any other camera utilities which are easy to download?

Brian

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:44 pm

I used the raspbian image and all of the camera bits were pre-installed.
I don't think there is any other program to run the camera than raspivid because it uses the hardware encoder...

Rob

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:07 pm

I was going to try my standard image with the camera as a comparison, although it's quite an old image.

The NoIR version of the camera has arrived and that isn't recognised either, so it's unlikely to be a camera problem.

This is a fairly early RPi model B - didn't they increase the memory or make some other changes?

Brian

G4KLB

Post by G4KLB » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Brian,

Just to let you know my RPi is also an early model 'B' without the extra memory, so what you have should have worked.
I have not made any changes to the SD image at all, still using the French keyboard! Although I may have a go at changing that latter.

I assume you can log in now?

with user : pi
passwd : rqspberry

Then type

cd DATVRelease/

ls

cd Digilite/

./usbdigilite.sh

With regard to the French KB of course! I did a google picture search for ASERTY KB layout which helped.

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:22 pm

I still can't get past the problem of no camera detected.

I was working in France last year and the keyboard was fun - special characters in strange places and I think the ALT GR key was needed to get some of them.

The most difficult thing to get used to was having to hold shift for the numerals on the top row.

Brian

f5oeo

Post by f5oeo » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Sorry about having let the french keyboard and the IP config in static (192.168.0.20). I know it for the next release and will make not the same mistake !
For french keyboard, launch raspi-config in order and go to regional parameters to choose an english Qwerty keyboard !
About issue with the Camera, maybe look for Raspberry forum, or launch a raspi-update to know if it solve something !

Evariste

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:48 pm

No problem. You cannot be compatible with every country keyboard which will be used. I am surprised that the keyboard does not tell the PC what type it is when it is plugged in.

I looked on the forums and the main points were: cameras can be damaged by static, check the camera cable connections and do an rpi-update. It also said that some cameras just do not work with some RPis.

I seem to be the last case. I bought another RPi and the camera worked first time and I am now receiving the HD transmission. I will have more time to experiment over the weekend.

Many thanks.
Brian

f5oeo

Post by f5oeo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:45 am

Good news Brian...Cam is at least working !
I tried yesterday adding the audio coding using a cheap USB audio module and software MPEG encoder : 50% CPU (compared to 4% for H264 video encoding). I look definitively to find a hardware audio coder like AAC.
As there is some issues with audio buffer, there are 2 processes for audio and video : not in sync ! Still some work !

Evariste F5OEO

Return to “DigiLite”