MK808B and Digilite

G8GKQ
Site Admin

MK808B and Digilite

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 am

I (foolishly) purchased an MK808B (the newer version with BlueTooth) for Digilite, but have unable to get it to boot into Rob's PicUntu on the SD Card.

After selecting "Reboot to Recovery" in rooted Android (2Dark_Finless1.7), I get a flash of the 2 Linux Penguins, and then a sick Android Bot with no text. The stick then won't boot without me reloading the system.

Has anyone had any success with an MK808B, or do I need to buy an MK808?

Thanks

Dave
G8GKQ

G4EWJ

Re: MK808B and Digilite

Post by G4EWJ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:58 pm

I bought one off Ebay that said it was an MK808, but turned out to be an MK808B.

I've managed to get it working, more by luck than judgement. At one point I deleted something off it and I thought I'd bricked it. It wouldn't even show a blue LED.

I found some reflashing software and images on http://www.vondroid.com and eventually got it booting Android again. Rob's software went in OK after that.

I'll try and retrace my steps and document what I did. I think G4KLB may also have used the MK808B.

Brian

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks Brian

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Here's what worked for me. I don't know if it's the right way or the best way, or whether it will brick your unit . . . :?
I've just done it all again, so it seems to be repeatable.

On Windows7, I found that the M0DTS utility and the utility below wouldn't recognise the MK808B. It needed a change in the .INI file for each utility
to select slow USB. If you've already run the M0DTS utility, then you shouldn't have this problem.

For the Rockchip Batch Tool:

#SUPPORTLOWUSB=TRUE时,扫描支持full speed usb设备,默认只支持high speed usb设备 (commented out)
SUPPORTLOWUSB=TRUE

For the M0DTS tool:

SUPPORTUSB11=1

******* Instructions *******

Remove the SD card.

Run the M0DTS RKAndroidTool.
Hold the reset button on MK808B and connect to USB.
Release reset when "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb" appears at the bottom.
Click EraseIDB - it takes a few seconds and shows progress on the right.

The MK808B is now detected by the tool without holding the reset button,
when unplugging and plugging.

Close the RKAndroid Tool.

Register with http://www.vondroid.com (free) and download the following files:
http://vondroid.com/attachments/rockchi ... ersion=228
http://vondroid.com/attachments/vondroi ... version=40
Extract both files.

I think the batch tool uses the same driver as the M0DTS utility, so it shouldn't be necessary to install another driver,
although there appear to be drivers in the zip file.

Run the Rockchip Batch Tool.
The Batch Tool should find the MK808B when it is plugged in (without needing the reset button) and should turn the '1' box green.
Click the ... browse button top right, find the image file (second file above) and double click.
The Batch Tool says "Loading firmware" (into itself).
Click 'Upgrade' and the image is transferred to the MK808B, with progress displayed. (About 2 minutes).
Unplug the MK808B and close the Batch Tool.

Now go through the M0DTS instructions for the MK808.

Without the SD card inserted, power up the MK808B.
The green robot appears and says something like "Android 4.1 formatting / writing image"
The two penguins should appear eventually.
Power off the MK808B, insert the SD card and power up.

Brian

G4KLB

Post by G4KLB » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:33 pm

I have used a MK808B and Using Robs instructions it worked the same as the MK808, so you should be fine when you get it working.
I had to resort to the http://www.vondroid.com route with a MK802, I also bricked that one but recovered it with a finless ROM, had to use the flash tool on http://www.vondroid.com for that one.

You should get it working with Brians info above. :)

PS: I did have problems when using the front USBs on my PC, changing to a USB2 one on the rear made it work. :o

G8GKQ
Site Admin

MK808B and Digilite - Success!

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Brian

Thanks very much. This worked for me. I'm really impressed!

Would you mind if I made a few changes and added a few extra lines to your instructions and then re-published them? There were a few things that caught me out on the way!

Thanks again

Dave
G8GKQ

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Yes certainly. I don't think it behaved exactly the same way second time around, so there's probably some variability.

Did you try using the MK808B in the normal way before changing it? I found that with the Wi-Fi active, the browser crashed either on starting it or as soon as it was scrolled. This was with the originally installed Android 4.2, but it did the same with the reloaded Android 4.1 duirng the recovery process above.

The Wi-Fi chip is apparently different on the MK808B and there don't seem to be Picuntu drivers for it, although I didn't look very hard. This would rule out using the Wi-Fi for remote configuration or feeding it with external video like DigiLite UDP.

Best to stick with the MK808 for our purposes. Some adverts are confusing, but the main hardware difference appears to be that the MK808B has bluetooth, whereas the MK808 doesn't.

Brian

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Glad to hear it's working Dave.

Thanks for the how-to Brian :-)
I've yet to play with MK808B so sure it will help then...
A shame the version with with built in camera is not fully supported under picuntu yet, could be interesting.
There are some with Ethernet port and the same cpu so would be easier for UDP in.

Rob

G8GKQ
Site Admin

How-to for MK808B and Digilite

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:15 pm

These are Brian G4EWJ’s instructions, with additional detail from Dave G8GKQ. They worked on my unbranded MK808B.

1. First download the following from Rob, M0DTS’s page: http://www.m0dts.co.uk/index.php?tag=DATV&item=85

MK808 Kernel Install tool: RK_Android_Tool_v1.35_configured.zip

And his latest MK808 SD Card Disk Image.

2. Then follow Rob’s instructions to prepare your SD Card before you start with the MK808B.

3. Register with http://www.vondroid.com (free) and download the following files:

http://vondroid.com/attachments/rockchi ... ersion=228

http://vondroid.com/attachments/vondroi ... version=40

Extract both files.

4. This step is probably only required for Windows 7. It did not seem to be required for Windows XP. On Windows7, G4EWJ found that the M0DTS RKAndroidTool utility and the Rockchip Batch Tool wouldn't recognise the MK808B. It needed a change in the .INI file for each utility
to select slow USB.

For the Rockchip Batch Tool (downloaded from Vondroid):

#SUPPORTLOWUSB=TRUE时,扫描支持full speed usb设备,默认只支持high speed usb设备 (commented out)
SUPPORTLOWUSB=TRUE

For the M0DTS RK_Android_tool:

SUPPORTUSB11=1

5. Make sure that the SD Card is removed from the MK808B.

6. Run the M0DTS RKAndroidTool.

Hold the reset button (small hole, hdmi end, reverse face, sd card side) on MK808B and connect to USB through the OTG port.
Release reset when "Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb" appears at the bottom.
Click EraseIDB - it takes a few seconds and shows progress on the right.

The MK808B is now detected by the tool without holding the reset button,
when unplugging and plugging. Leave it unplugged.

Close the RKAndroid Tool.

7. Run the Vondroid Rockchip Batch Tool.

Connect the MK808B to USB through the OTG Port. The Batch Tool should find the MK808B when it is plugged in (without needing the reset button) and should turn the '1' box green.
Click the ... browse button top right, find the image file (second file downloaded from Vondroid above) and double click.
The Batch Tool says "Loading firmware…, Loading Firmware finished" (into itself).
Click 'Upgrade' and the image is transferred to the MK808B, with progress displayed. (About 2 minutes).
Unplug the MK808B and close the Batch Tool.

8. Run the M0DTS RKAndroidTool again.

Press the reset button on the MK808B and connect to USB through the OTG Port. The RKAndroidTool should find the MK808B when it is plugged in and display “Found RKAndroid Loader Rock Usb".

Click Load (with the default settings). When complete, release the reset button.

Unplug the MK808B and close the RKAndroidTool.

9. Connect the MK808B to an HDMI display and a keyboard (connected to the normal USB port) and, without the SD card inserted, power up the MK808B by connecting the power to the power port. Do not connect a mouse.

The green robot appears and says something like "Android 4.1 formatting / writing image"
The two penguins should appear eventually. Wait until there is a static Linux prompt at the command line on the display.

10. Power off the MK808B, insert the SD card and power up again. PicUntu should boot and get to a login prompt. From here you have about 20 seconds to login (if you need to set instructions for operation without a controller). Otherwise the MK808B will go on to process the DATV signal (and the HDMI display will go blank).

11. To use, connect the WinTV PVR USB2 to the OTG port, connect the Digilite to the normal USB port, and power up. Boot-up takes about a minute.

Your MK808B may be slightly different. Thanks again to Brian G4EWJ for this procedure, and to Rob M0DTS for the software. Comments welcome!

Dave, G8GKQ

MN-tech

Post by MN-tech » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:31 pm

The MK808B is labeled MINI TV for Android, Dual-Core A9 Processor. This is how you can identify it in the adverts. It works well, you just have to go through a few more steps to use it.

Related item, The USB cables required for this project are not readily available.
USB B to USB mini-B for video
A to USB mini-B for the DigiLite

You can make your own by slicing the two ends of two cables or replacing one end. A benefit of making your own is that you can control the length. Here are some part numbers for solder on connectors.
Connector PLUG USB A-MALE SOLDER A-USBPA-2-R Assmann WSW Components
RS Stock No.674-2268
CNUSB-A L-COM

Connector USB B TYPE SOLDER ASSY 1002-029-02300 CNC Tech
RS Stock No.674-2270
CNUSB-B L-COM

Return to “DigiLite”