BATC Streamer - Chat Engine

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8YTZ

BATC Streamer - Chat Engine

Post by G8YTZ » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:29 pm

I'm working on an idea to post chats from the BATC repeater chat engine to the repeater video output. I've worked out how to do the video side and a I have a PoC working.

Could anyone with knowledge of this guide me as to how I can extract each text chat line from the BATC chat engine? A good start would be to know what the back-end chat engine is built from, perhaps there is already an integration of library out there for this part?

The plan is to use OBS chat integration feature

Rob's Stream Viewer seems to perform these functions, I'm really just wanting to extract each message as it comes.

Any guidance on a potential integration would be most appreciated.

Justin.

g0mjw

Re: BATC Streamer - Chat Engine

Post by g0mjw » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 pm

I am sure it is possible, but are you sure it is a good idea? It would effectively mean anyone being able to send messages via the repeater, which is not covered by the license.

Mike

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:18 am

I would only allow access to people who were logged into the BATC web site, by switching off "guest chat" I think it would be fine. I don't think there are many members who are not licensed, anyway if they really want to break the law I guess they can always transmit into the repeater...

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:15 pm

The Chat uses SocketIO, like websocket protocol.

I've just implemented the basic functionality in my stream viewer app, it does not do the secure connection part (for logged in users), that is beyond my knowledge.
But if you disable guest chat then all messages are 'filtered'....
So you could do it using a custom python script for OBS.

Rob

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:27 pm

G8YTZ wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:18 am
I would only allow access to people who were logged into the BATC web site, by switching off "guest chat" I think it would be fine. I don't think there are many members who are not licensed, anyway if they really want to break the law I guess they can always transmit into the repeater...
Yes, that would work. I think the unlicensed wouldn't have the knowledge to access the repeater anyway. If they have they could probably get a license so make sure to recruit them to the hobby.

Mike

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:52 pm

Thanks Mike!

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:55 pm

Rob,

That's more-or-less my idea. Use the site PC to run OBS (or something similar) and plonk the chats on a green screen, then I can use the ATEM upstream keyer to key in the chat.

Any help with what a script could look like, or indeed if I could somehow use your chat window rather than OBS, but just display each chat for 10 seconds or so.

Justin.

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Mon May 02, 2022 8:37 pm

I'll try have a look this week and see if i can get something to work..

Rob

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Wed May 04, 2022 9:46 pm

Spent a few hours playing with this tonight but annoyingly no luck so far...

For some reason I can't seem to get the python-socketio library to connect, it's just returning a 404 error....hmmm
Wil play some more if i get time and see if i get any further.

Rob

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Thu May 12, 2022 7:17 pm

That would be cool if you could suss it out!

Return to “Streaming”