Streaming to BATC with iphone or H264/5 encoder box

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4WIM

Streaming to BATC with iphone or H264/5 encoder box

Post by G4WIM » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:09 am

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble streaming to the BATC streaming page, here's the situation.

Testing with my Portsdown RPI streams ok so I know I have the right credentials and connectivity etc.

On tx for the satellite I use the Chinese H264/265 encoder box and while I can get it so stream RTMP H264 to my local nginx machine I can't seem to get it to work with the BATC streamer.

I have the encoder box set to only generate RTMP at H264

Interestingly with my iPhone using Larix that streams fine to my local nginx box but again won't connect to the BATC site

Here's the url I think should work:

rtmp://rtmp.batc.org.uk/live/g4wim-keykey

The above does not work on either the iPhone or H264/5 encoder box, but this url below works with my local box

rtmp://192.168.1.4:1935/live/g4wim

I can ping rtmp.batc.org.uk and it returns the correct IP address.

I've also tried explicitly expressing the IP address and port numbers but no success.

I was wondering if anyone else had managed to stream to the BATC streamer using their iPhone or encoder box ?

73 Tim

G4WIM

Re: Streaming to BATC with iphone or H264/5 encoder box

Post by G4WIM » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:11 pm

ok so the url was correct but my stream key was incorrect.

The key used a capital i which looks like a lower case L on the rpi screen - lesson learned !

Incidentally the Chinese H264/5 encoder box can generate an RTMP stream and multicast at the same time - useful for sending multicast to the Pluto and RTMP to the BATC streamer. This is how GB3FT will be operating shortly.

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:05 am

Glad to see someone else has picked up on the capabilities of the Encoder box, they are very useful!

GB3KM is currently testing on my own stream and is doing the BATC stream and the Transmitter stream from the same box.
I'm gradually building up a bit of python code for configuring the encoder parameters making it possible to automate the stream start/stop and various other things, ideal for repeater use.

Quality is superb compared to the old way :-)

Rob

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Rob, agreed a very useful bit of kit. It can also stream RTSP at the same time which is handy for seeing what the Ryde is rx'ing. I have GB3FT working here in the shack with just one encoder doing double duty. The locals love it.

Just waiting for a second encoder such that the tx will be H265 and the stream H264.

I'd be interested in your python code - currently the DTMF logic only allows reseting and power cycling of the various parts - Ryde RPI, encoder(s) and Pluto

73 Tim

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 pm

It's still very much work in progress and not much there for now.
If you have some python knowledge it should be understandable I hope!

https://github.com/m0dts/HDMI-Encoder-Tools

Rob

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi Rob,

thanks for the code, not an expert on Python but can understand what you're doing.

Interestingly from time to time I have problems with Pluto not going into tx and no stream data showing in the analysis - looks like from your code you've created something to give it another kickstart.

Currently my control logic such as it is runs on an AVR chip and there's DTMF commands to power cycle all or parts of the system, such as the Ryde RPI, encoder and Pluto.

I'm thinking maybe I need something a little more sophisticated to send actual commands on the ethernet as required.

Thanks again, Tim

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:51 am

Yeah, a re-start of the UDP on the encoder box after power up seems to make it work quite reliably.
You should be able to do the same on the avr but maybe a bit more tricky.

Rob

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi Rob

just ordered an AVR ethernet card and writing code to drive it - hopefully I can make it send the required commands to both the encoder and Pluto.

The UDP commands will be triggered by reception of a DTMF sequence.

73 Tim

Return to “Streaming”