Portsdown Streaming from Minitiouner to BATC without touch screen

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8YTZ

Portsdown Streaming from Minitiouner to BATC without touch screen

Post by G8YTZ » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi!

I did a successful stream test from Minitiouner - Portsdown - BATC Web site using my Portsdown with 7" Touch Screen, but is it possible to configure this from a no-screen Portsdown via the console? I can't see any obvious way. Basically I'm looking for a cheap and reliable method of permanently streaming GB3JV to the BATC web site by taking an off-air signal at home and streaming from my broadband there.

I also tried using my Dell XPS630i PC was too glitchy (processor on 100%) and unreliable (and 500 Watts power hungry!). The other way I managed it was UDP to VLC and then to OBS using my Intel 8th Gen i7 NUC Ubuntu/Linux box, which worked perfectly - but far too expensive in hardware that tied up for this purpose.

Next question; does Portsdown run on an Pi v4 if the touchscreen is not required? (getting ready to duck/dodge the rotten tomatoes on that question!)

best regards,

Justin.

g8vpg

Re: Portsdown Streaming from Minitiouner to BATC without touch screen

Post by g8vpg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:47 pm

Justin,
Yes, you can do this very easily, full details here;
https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Streaming_to_b ... spberry_Pi
We have been using this at GB3ZZ for 18 months and it works well. It will run for 6-8 weeks, but then might need a reboot. I always add the shutdown switch and LED, which makes shutting down a headless (screenless) pi easier. If you set it up as a keyed stream and link the keying input permanently, you can add an LED to indicate when the stream is on.
73 Shaun.

Return to “Streaming”