Change in how Chrome handles Flash

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g0mjw

Re: Change in how Chrome handles Flash

Post by g0mjw » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 pm

The risk is not enabling it for a specific trusted site - some of the proposals (in google) are about bypassing the security for flash completely and enabling it for all sites. I would also like to see a solution - because flash is only going to get more and more difficult to use. I have seen quite a few YouTube live-streams and they do seem to satisfy most of the requirements. Unfortunately, they are advertising funded.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi Mike

The solution that is outlined above (thanks Brian) is only for one trusted site (ours). So I think the risk that you mention is a red herring.

As for YouTube Live Streaming - please check the delay and report back.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 pm

G8GKQ wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:00 pm
Hi Mike

The solution that is outlined above (thanks Brian) is only for one trusted site (ours). So I think the risk that you mention is a red herring.

As for YouTube Live Streaming - please check the delay and report back.

Dave
Hi Dave,

I wasn't referring to that posting, we know most people tend to look for answers with google rather than browse the forum. I do take cyber security seriously, so no red herrings. I am glad we have control over all flash streams coming out of the website. The re-encoding must take quite a lot of CPUs to support so many streams so any alternative will need to be efficient.

It will be interesting to see how long Brian's registry hack lasts and while if fixes Chrome in windows, it doesn't fix it on android, which is quite an annoyance on the move. I had to install another browser, Dolphin, specifically for flash on Android.

Mike

G8DKC

Post by G8DKC » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:04 am

Having fixed the loss of the RSS Feed Reader in Firefox's latest "upgrade" to Version 64.00

Flash still delivering (at the moment).

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=17758#p17757

:)

Peter

Return to “Streaming”