Streaming quality in Flash

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8NZR

Streaming quality in Flash

Post by G8NZR » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm

A question about streaming via the BATC website.

How do I improve the streaming quality when using flash? Is it limited by the quality of the capture card/units, or it something in the settings? I've tried changing the settings of the flash encoder, but the quality as displayed on the new streamer does not seem to change.

If I view the signal as its presented to the encoder, the quality is brilliant, but the result on the streamer looks blocky and poor quality (GB3YT). Any recommendations on where I should be looking to make improvements?

Phil M0DNY

Re: Streaming quality in Flash

Post by Phil M0DNY » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 am

Hi,

Looking at the GB3YT stream, you're currently using VP6 at ~200kb/s, for which I'd expect that level of blockiness. If you're bandwidth limited then you may get better quality by using the H.264 codec.

Note that libav/ffmpeg-based encoders such as OBS or vMix also take an 'effort' parameter that can eke out extra quality for a limited bandwidth at the cost of CPU usage.

I'm aware of issues with noisy input pictures not working well with H.264 in FMLE. Their VP6 implementation has a denoising filter on the input where their H.264 implementation does not. Using a libav/ffmpeg encoder allows manual control over denoising filter parameters (hqdn3d).

Phil M0DNY

G8NZR

Re: Streaming quality in Flash

Post by G8NZR » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi Phil

Thanks for the information - its pointed me in the right direction and I seem to have made an improvement with the new adjustments. I'll try a few different settings now I know a bit more about which basic settings are better.

73, Kay

Return to “Streaming”