Broadband Hamnet

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g8vpg

Broadband Hamnet

Post by g8vpg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am

A few of us in Bristol are becoming interested in Broadband Hamnet. We have obtained some Linksys WRT54 series routers, converted them and they are seeing each other well. However, getting them to do something useful is another matter! I would like to be able to stream the UDP output of Minitioune onto the mesh. Has anyone done this yet? Does anyone have advice on how we might be able to set this up? I am a complete beginner to networking protocols and the BBHN website seems to assume a good deal of knowledge when it comes to applications.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

M0DTS

Re: Broadband Hamnet

Post by M0DTS » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Shaun,

I've played with these a little but not done a great deal as there was nobody within range of me!!

The nodes work on their own IP group, ie not 192.168.x.x.
The Linksys box can be connected to your regular router through the wan port on the back to be able to bridge between network groups, if this is done then you can get access to the Node network addresses from a pc on that regular network and allow (restricted) internet access to the node network but it is tricky to make work well regarding hostnames and routing.

The PC running minitioune can be connected to your normal router with the node connected as described above OR you can directly connect the Minitioune pc to the Linksys router on one of it's node LAN ports, the pc will then gain an IP address on the node network directly.

Getting the UDP packets to go out on the node network will require some routing tricks, eg in windows command line on minitioune pc:
route add 224.0.0.0 mask 240.0.0.0 <IP address of PC>

The IP address will depend on how you connect the pc to the network, getting the route to work using the first method will no doubt be more difficult.

Hopefully something useful there?!

Rob

g8vpg

Re: Broadband Hamnet

Post by g8vpg » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 am

Rob,
Thanks for those suggestions. I should have time next week to have another play with the routers, so I will let you know how I get on.
73 Shaun.

Return to “Streaming”