AMSAT-UK Colloquium Streaming?

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
ON5EX

AMSAT-UK Colloquium Streaming?

Post by ON5EX » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Will BATC be streaming the AMSAT-UK 24-26 July lectures?
Johan ON5EX

g8gtz

Re: AMSAT-UK Colloquium Streaming?

Post by g8gtz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 am

Yes we will - details to follow next week.

Noel - G8GTZ

ON5EX

Post by ON5EX » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Great!
Tnx for your efforts, much appreciated.
Johan ON5EX

g8gtz

New BATC Streaming portal for AMSAT-UK event

Post by g8gtz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:38 pm

The AMSAT colloquium this weekend will be streamed live at this URL: http://batc.tv/live/events/amsatuk/

Note this is NOT the normal URL as it is the first outing for the new BATC streaming portal and features 16:9 format, a player that supports higher resolutions than the previous system and a new interactive chat system.

A big round of applause goes to Phil M0DNY who has put in a large amount of effort to develop the new site - there is still a way to go before we can replace the current system for all channels and we are still looking for volunteers to help with the development of the new site.

We have also updated the BATC video production system to full HD capabilities using an ATEM TVstudio - see https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/gb/pro ... sionstudio for more details.

Noel - G8GTZ

M0SAT

Post by M0SAT » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Just replying as per the suggestion in the email "BATC update".

Firstly thanks and congratulations to all those involved in the new format for the stream. I like it.

Some comments.

- There is no output to confirm whether the stream has frozen (i.e. the barber pole). I hope one will be implemented (is it possible to have it on screen. I was watching the colloquium on my TV in full screen mode and several times I had a frozen screen and no idea whether it was my end of the output from Guildford. I had to exit full screen every time.

- Loss of sound. Sound disappeared a few times and although I had vision the only way to "reset" sound was to refresh the browser.

- Logging on to chat. I was unable to. I tried it on 2 separate machines and followed the /nick protocol. No access. Without this I was unable to comment. Was there a limit on the number of users? It seemed very low compared to previous years so either many had missed the postings about the new stream URL or perhaps there were others like me who were watching but unable to join in?

Looking forward to seeing it progress and hope the comments are useful.

Dave

greengrass

Post by greengrass » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Just putting an over view as watched on the 2 days of streaming of the BATC updated new streaming.

Firstly thanks and congratulations to all those involved in the new format for the stream. I like it.

My viewing thoughts,
A lot of missed sound from questions on the floor, Sound also disappeared a few times and although I had vision to get audio again had to restart the stream browser each time this happened also the video stilled and there is no output to confirm whether the stream had frozen as (the barber pole) at the bottom of screen was missing ?. Is it possible to have it somewhere on screen ?. I was watching the colloquium on my Apple Mac in full screen mode, and had no idea whether it was my end or of the output from the Colloquium Site Streaming ?. I had to exit full screen every time to see if and what had happened, otherwise all was ok. Logging on to chat I was unable to I tried it on several times both days even following the /nick protocol. No logging in happened !. Without this I was unable to ask any Questions or comments, or did you have to register before hand, There looked a very low amount of viewers and questions compared to previous years events at the Colloquium, So either many had missed the new stream or perhaps there were others like me who were watching but unable to join in?

Looking forward to seeing it again next year and hope the comments are useful.

ps A lot faster to get the new stream than the repeater streams

Chris G0DAE

Phil M0DNY

Post by Phil M0DNY » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi All,

The new streamer player did not cope with as well with the stream dropping out as I'd have liked. The barber pole view as on the old player isn't possible, however a spinning icon should have been displayed in the center to indicate the stream had frozen, with the player retrying to reload the stream automatically every few seconds. This was working previously however I seem to have broken this behaviour on that page in the days prior to the weekend, so I have that as a priority to get working again. I'll also be trying a few other Video Players that I've had recommended to me since the event.

I'm getting mixed reports on usability of the chat interface. I'd be interested in hearing more from those of you who had issues. Please email me at phil@philcrump.co.uk or add me on skype: 'phildcrump', and just ping me a quick message about what you experienced, and what OS/Browser you were using. There was no limit on total users and the server-side load of it barely registered.

In terms of numbers, we had an average of 70-80 viewers on the page during the weekend, peaking to just over 90 at times. During Sunday afternoon I was able to see that we had ~60 using the Flash Streaming (desktop), and ~20 using the HTML5 Streaming (mobile). The new streamer infrastructure had no problem at all with the load, even while server-side transcoding the HTML5 stream down to ~200kb/s for smoother mobile viewing.

Phil

Return to “Streaming”