What new features do you want to see?

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g8gtz

What new features do you want to see?

Post by g8gtz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 am

Hi

We are looking to kick off a project later this year to update the streamer, probably around the Wowza streaming server, and would like to hear what new features you would like to see implemented.

Now is your chance to say, so let's have your ideas!

Best 73

Noel - G8GTZ

G8XZD-TV

Re: What new features do you want to see?

Post by G8XZD-TV » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Some ideas:

Not dependent on flash
Site to optimise for mobile or tablet as well as a pc
Being able to open the page with your last settings
Being able to scroll the text back and forth without it jumping back to the end yet still refreshing
Bigger video screen for groups that can stream at higher rates
Clearer colours for the message text
Not showing repeaters / streams that are not feeding live pics
Being able to monitor more than six streams at a time
Better integration with the main BATC site - single login

prob think of some more later 73 Ian.

g8ajn

Post by g8ajn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Here are a few changes that I would like to see incorporated in the next streaming software..
1/ Audio level to begin at 50% and memorise the user setting until the program is exited, currently it jumps to 100% on a change of stream.
2/ Refresh button, rather than just a 'watch' button. Even an AUTO refresh option to catch up with stream when delay becomes > 10 secs for example.
3/ Option to display stream data--eg size of buffered data,delay time,bandwidth,data error rate..whatever is available.
4/ Option to record the current stream to HDD or SD card.
5/ Allow a spacer character in the logon name, maybe a dot or an underscore to allow Christian name to be displayed with callsign.
6/ Option to enlarge the stream image to 50% of full screen (or draggable if feasable) as well as full screen. The resolution doesn't always work in full but the initial size is sometimes too small. An option to enlarge but just squeeze the chat in as well would be good.
7/ There is no real point in listing every Guest(s) so perhaps just a 'total number of Guests' would be enough, after all if they are not logged in they cannot contribute to a locked chat anyway.It would make it easier to see the callsigns of those logged in.
8/ Rename Guests to Visitors if 7/ is not feasible.
I realise that some of these suggestions may not be easy to implement..but when did that ever stop you?
Best wishes
Dave G8AJN

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:26 am

One feature which would be good is a single page which shows all active streams as a snapshot(not live video) - some of us only have 1Mb broadband u know!... it would refresh periodically and then you could click one to go 'Live'.

The gallery i have created for KM activity would be a possible feature for all streams so you can look back to see if anyone has been on.
Originally i took snapshots of stream video every 5min (using ffmpeg encoder) which cluttered the page mainly with the slideshow images, now i also use an image comparison program to remove the repeated slideshow images and only show actual activity. This is not very useful though if your slideshow changes a lot and you use fades etc but worth thinking about!

It's a bit sow because it's hosted from my streaming pc: http://87.194.98.211:88/list.php

Rob

pa3weg

Post by pa3weg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Since I only used the streamer at the AMSAT-UK colloquium before, I have no huge experience with it. But what I would like to see fixed is the following:
  • Scrolling is not reset on chatbox updating, so you can safely scroll back in the logs without fight. During the AMSAT-UK colloqium, for audience question we actually have to copy the text into notepad to read it out before it disappears
  • setting the nickname should be possible by using the enter key. Currently that produces your nickname plus HTML break tag, so PA3WEGbr
  • make it easy to link to video's by presenting the direct URL in some copy-able textbox. now only stream owners know the URL, but I can not easily send someone the link if I want to

G8XZD-TV

Post by G8XZD-TV » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Will stream to a chromecast dongle please.

Return to “Streaming”