The search feature..

If you have any feedback concerning these forums, or want to leave the sysops a message, please post here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Wolfie G8VAT

The search feature..

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Tue May 30, 2023 5:25 pm

Almost every search I do simply says "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words"?..
OK they may be common but...

I can search on almost every other Forum I visit, even our own Motorcycle Forum for the commonest words imaginable, "Kawasaki" just returned 3602 results, but even when it returns thousands of matches, I do at least know that it has filtered many thousands of others out. I can't remember the last time I received the "common words" message anywhere else.

But getting 0 results means I can do bugger all. Does it search just the SubForum I'm visiting, or the entire Forum?

And I can't think of any other word to replace 'Current'.. 'Amperes' returns one result, but not what I'm looking for.. even if I concatenate words in the advanced search, it still fails because one of them is too common..

Surely the search feature is there to reduce people asking the same question over and over again to the chagrin of everyone else??

I can't even get search results of the 'search feature' to see if anyone else has brought it up before.. Grrrr.

I do like a good moan... :lol: :lol:
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: The search feature..

Post by G8GKQ » Tue May 30, 2023 6:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback Graham

I have just raised the threshold for "common words", so please let me know if it has improved the situation.

Dave G8GKQ

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed May 31, 2023 12:54 pm

Many thanks Dave I'll Pull up the last 10 or so searches... see how it goes...

I just checked our Triples Forum, it's set to 5%, probably the default setting, I don't remember ever changing it.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed May 31, 2023 1:55 pm

I don't think it has improved Dave.

I had a play with the settings on the Triples Forum, in the settings it says that "for words previously considered to be common to be re considered, you must rebuild the index".. And I'm not sure I understand that bit, re doing the searches seemed to make no difference.

But thanks for your help, I wouldn't go fiddling too much just on my behalf.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm

I've rebuilt the index, so please try again.

Dave

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Wed May 31, 2023 3:34 pm

Oo, yes that's made a difference.. Thanks Dave, I hope it helps others too.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “Feedback”