Intermittent Login Failures at BATC.TV

If you have any feedback concerning these forums, or want to leave the sysops a message, please post here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
AC5JW

Intermittent Login Failures at BATC.TV

Post by AC5JW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:55 am

Just a heads up to you guys ... I recently switched to Google Chrome web browser due to the ending support from Adobe for the Flash on Mozilla Firefox in Linux, Just today I noticed login failures that are intermittent at best. My password works and my Chrome browser can remember the password for BATC, but there is something going on that makes my browser automated login fail. I do not believe that BATC is blocking auto logins only because the blocking would be happening all the time. However, I only see the login failures with BATC.TV and with no other websites so far. I have not tested my browser's auto login feature with BATC webmail nor with the Forums, so I cannot say anything about those areas.

Raleigh, AC5JW
73 Raleigh AC5JW

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Intermittent Login Failures at BATC.TV

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 am

Raleigh

Sorry to hear about this. We haven't had it reported before.

So that we can do some further investigation, please could you let me know exactly what version of Linux you're using and the Chrome version number?

Does manual login work OK?

Dave
G8GKQ

AC5JW

Post by AC5JW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Hello, Dave. Thank you for your reply and request for more information.

I am getting the details for you now. This is just to let you know that I have read and am responding to your request for information in the detail that you asked for.
73 Raleigh AC5JW

AC5JW

Post by AC5JW » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Hello, Dave!

Here is more information to help you evaluate the issue of my intermittent login failures with batc.tv.

[ BATC Webmail automated login not tested and not addressed. ]

[ BATC Forums automated login not tested and not addressed. ]

You asked for my Linux version number and my Chrome version. This information is reprinted below and is embedded in my hosts file:

# [ uname -a: Linux ac5jw-a 3.5.0-38-generic #59~precise1-Ubuntu SMP Sun Jul 28 05:19:32 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux ]

# [ Operating System: Linux 3.5.0-38-generic (32-bit); Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS "Precise Pangolin" ]

# [ Desktop: ubuntu-2d ]

# [ Browser: Google Chrome 28.0.1500.95 ]
#

# [ Flash Player: 11.8.800.96 ]
#

My hosts file has entries for three BATC IPv4 addresses and supporting name servers. Reference links for viewing are provided at the end of this message. If you have suggestions for improving, correcting, or expanding my BATC entries, please let me know.

There also exists a Google Chromium web browser, but I do not use that because it does not have the latest Adobe Flash updates on my OS.

I also encountered password problems with Mozilla Firefox last month. A response from BATC is provided at the end of this message in order to inform you of previous BATC responses on passwords and automated logins.

My Google Chrome password settings can display each of all my passwords individually if I require it. It routinely displays on demand the stored passwords in plain text for all my logins with the exception of the BATC.TV password. This exception is usually rendered in a standard format of six asterisks even after I demand the plain text display. But I have only seen the plain text rendering of my BATC.TV password once, and this exception may offer to you a clue about the communication between BATC and my web browser.

Today I performed ten (10) successful login and logout operations in a row at the BATC.TV main start page. I did not redirect the browser from this page or do any other browsing. I also did not close or restart my browser.

After logout from BATC.TV and the ten successes, I next went to the GB3VL ATV Repeater streaming page via a bookmark set to the individual URL. I attempted an automated login and experienced a "Login Failed" error message and short paragraph. I then went back to the BATC.TV home page and experienced a login failure there as well.

You also asked if manual logins are affected. As far as I can tell, my manual login has succeeded at every attempt.

AC5JW-A hosts file (ac5jw-a_hosts.txt) can be viewed at Google Drive at URL http://tinyurl.com/kvra2nn

BATC email 2013-07-20 about browser password security can be viewed at Google Drive at URL http://tinyurl.com/lx5exu2

I hope this helps.
73 Raleigh AC5JW

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Raleigh

I've spoken with the streamer admin and he is fresh out of ideas on this one. However, he is working on a totally new streamer server using different software, which should provide a long-term fix for you and a better service.

As you are able to manually log in, would you be able to continue to do so to enable our admin to spend the limited time he has available getting the new server up and running?

Thanks for your understanding

Dave
G8GKQ

AC5JW

Post by AC5JW » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:03 pm

My only recourse is to manually log in. Today I experienced a log in failure after already having logged in on another BATC active page.

So, the only sure way is to log in manually.

The problem continues to persist even now.
73 Raleigh AC5JW

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:19 am

Raleigh

Yes, my apologies, our streamer admin has been in hospital, so we have not been able to move forward with your problem.

However, a new streamer is being developed and some very limited initial tests took place this week.

Dave
G8GKQ

Return to “Feedback”