Tapatalk plugin

If you have any feedback concerning these forums, or want to leave the sysops a message, please post here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M1DNS

Tapatalk plugin

Post by M1DNS » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:53 am

Might I suggest to those that run this forum you look to add the Tapatalk plugin.
IMHO I would consider it a very worthwhile addition and add to those of us "younger members" that choose to embrace newer ways of recieving or adding replies to posts within the forum instead of being tied to a Web browser.

Thankyou for any consideration you may give this.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Tapatalk plugin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:07 pm

Hi Andrew

I have looked at Tapatalk, but feel that the overhead for administering it (both technically and procedurally) would outweigh any benefit. We already have BATC Twitter, Facebook and Instagram presence, all of which work well for mobile users.

I see the forum as a media with more technical detail, and less suited to mobile devices.

Thanks for the suggestion

Dave, G8GKQ
BATC Forum Admin

g7ocd

Post by g7ocd » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:17 pm

and for those who don't want to use it... you get nagged to install it every time you visit... most annoying.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Mon May 29, 2023 9:38 am

G8GKQ wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:07 pm
Hi Andrew

I have looked at Tapatalk, but feel that the overhead for administering it (both technically and procedurally) would outweigh any benefit. We already have BATC Twitter, Facebook and Instagram presence, all of which work well for mobile users.

I see the forum as a media with more technical detail, and less suited to mobile devices.

Thanks for the suggestion

Dave, G8GKQ
BATC Forum Admin
TY fortaking the time to reply Dave.

Whilst I respect your answer I'm not sure why you see it as an overhead or technicality. It's a simple backend plug-in you install here within PHPBBS itself. Very simple and easy to do as we have been using it on a forum I run using this same software (circa 19k users) The plug-in works in conjunction with the forum here and is not another entity/ space as in FB Twitter etc. So maybe you would take another look at it with the understanding it is a conduit for feeding post and replies without the need to interact here via a webrowser.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Mon May 29, 2023 9:49 am

g7ocd wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:17 pm
and for those who don't want to use it... you get nagged to install it every time you visit... most annoying.
AFAIAA those of our 19k membership that have decided not to use the T/T app to interact with our own forum get nagged to install it. It's not something I have seen myself whilst logged in via a browser on a pc and If they were I'm sure they would of let me know as we've been running it with the plug in ourselves for around 3yrs now. 😊

g7ocd

Post by g7ocd » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:31 pm

M1DNS wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:49 am
It's not something I have seen myself whilst logged in via a browser on a pc
At TT is a phone app, not a PC app, it only nags you when using a phone.

M1DNS

Post by M1DNS » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:18 pm

quote=g7ocd

"At TT is a phone app, not a PC app, it only nags you when using a phone"

Well alls i can say is i use TT every day to answer posts, moderate etc. for our own phpBBS instance and ive never seen any sight of a nagg screen from the APP.
Im usually only at the PC when in the back end for more involved stuffs, admitting new accounts updates etc. The past couple yrs Ive not seen anything as you say in your reply whilst using the APP.

... i respect the decisions made here, just wanted the chance to make it clear what was being suggested.

Return to “Feedback”