GB3EY now fully operational

Locator: IO93WT
G3GJA

GB3EY now fully operational

Post by G3GJA » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:15 pm

This afternoon, Lyndon M0LDR and I installed the completed GB3EY DATV repeater at the East Yorkshire Repeater Group's Cave Wold Radio Station site. The site is roughly 10 miles WNW of Hull on top of the Yorkshire Wolds at 155m ASL, with the antenna at 25m AGL.

The repeater is accepting inputs on 1275MHz using any mix of the following: DVB-S, DVB-S2, 1000kS/s, 2000kS/s, H262, H264, QPSK, 8PSK and any valid FEC for the mode in use.

The output is on 1308MHz, DVB-S, H262 and FEC 3/4 and is running the maximum licensed power giving 13.8dBw ERP.

Please note that the repeater is switched off between 11pm and 11am local. This is to manage the electricity costs. Running the repeater 24/7 would cost the Repeater Group £228 a year! If you need it switched on during these hours please email me.

Please send reports to clive@hesh.co.uk

Clive G3GJA

Wolfie G8VAT

Re: GB3EY now fully operational

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:58 am

I've not had a chance to look yet Clive.. Busy with other things and as a result some long term projects are getting a look in too.. Gotta keep my mind occupied you know.

I might try and lash enough Portsdown together to go mobile over the weekend, lets see if we can put a picture or two through, i hear that others have tried without success..

By the way, the RSGB Repeater page still shows the input on 1265 not 1275..
Last edited by Wolfie G8VAT on Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Sorry, it's off altogether!

There's an issue with the receiver where it won't detect a signal that's strong enough to use. It usually occurs after power on and the only way to kick it into operation is to give it a very big signal. Having found that big signal, it will then detect the much weaker signals that we would expect it to be able to use.

I'm not sure what the mechanism is yet, so no quick fix!

I'm also going to blow some air around the logic. There's a temperature sensitive timing issue or the video RAM is heat sensitive. Characters turn up in the wrong place and colour bar blocks get moved in the Teletext pages. Hopefully, a bit of air from a case fan might help.

I was also rather disappointed at the disturbance caused by Claxby Radar. Having ensured that there is at least 145dB attenuation at 1254.5MHz, it still causes the pics to freeze on every rotation of the scanner and the receivers take too long to recover. If anything the Minitioune was much better at quickly recovering from a burst of radar.

We are supposed to be using 1265 as that is what was issued to us. We're trying 1275 because it wasn't possible to get a deep notch on 1254.5 with an acceptable loss at 1265. It may be that we will have to go up a bit further if this radar issue can't be resolved any other way

73 Clive

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:54 pm

Thanks for the update Clive.

If you are lucky enough they will switch off soon...
Great Dun Fell appears to have switched off or moved frequency so the band is VERY clear up here now on 1272MHz!
I guess it's part of the clearance for Galileo...

Rob

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:56 pm

Sorry to hear it's off Clive, but hey, these things try to come us..

And I thought all the RADAR issues would be over with the move, damn.

Hopefully not too tricky for you, these weird problems have a habit of being either being something ridiculously stupid or they sometimes just go away on their own.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “GB3EY”