Location: Hull, East Yorkshire
********PLEASE NOTE THAT GB3EY IS NOW USING 2000kS/s********
Although the failure of the driver PD85004 left a chunk of carbonized PCB underneath it, surprisingly it was possible to repair the board with some 0.2mm copper sheet shims cut to fit the available space. A pair was used, with one above and one below the tab of the LDMOS device and then the whole lot was heated until some solder between the shims flowed.
A 5mm hole was drilled through the sandwiched sheets to take an M5 bolt. A chunk of Maplin heatsink left over from another project was drilled and tapped to take the M5 bolt on the other side of the PCB. Once assembled with copious amounts of heatsink paste the steel bolt was found to take the heat from the PD85004 surprisingly well. A small 25mm fan was attached to the heatsink to increase it thermal capacity. Hopefully, this will last a little longer!
The gain of the driver is within half a dB of the original so the grounding / heat removal properties of the copper shims seems to have worked and the shoulders of the 225mW output are still more than -50dBc.
I visited all the places I previously visited on the work journey and there's nothing at all. Nothing around home either I'm afraid.
I would have thought that an antenna with 6dB gain over a dipole would not have such a restricted vertical aperture as to completely cut off signals in your direction. The downward tilt from the EY antenna to your QTH is -0.39 degree so as long as it's reasonably vertical you should see it.
Perhaps the Fresnel effect was helping when at 14m and has less effect at 25m? I presume you have tried the receiver before on 2MS/s signals?
I think some field tests are needed. Somewhere I've a got a Severnside antenna that might do for some /p checks when coupled with a G4DDK pre-amp and the Bravebox monitor.
However I'm off to colder climes for a few days and the magnet is now a stable camera mount.. I will be back late Thurs..
The 'found signal' presets stored in its memory can't be edited (or at least I haven't worked out which part of the manual tells me how to do that!) so I have got mine to rescan and it's come up with 95% strength and 85% quality on EY.
I got a report from Bob G7AVU, who shouldn't be able to see it at all, and it's pretty much the same as it was when it first came on at full height. Tony G0AZQ at Nafferton was having difficulty but I think that is due to issues at his end. Richard G4YTV reports normal signals at his QTH.
2MS/s is being recommended by G8GTZ with his ETCC rep for ATV hat on. There is a 3dB advantage apparently, although I haven't been able to confirm that, and there is a significant bandwidth reduction. With the pressure on 23cm coming from Galileo it is thought that we should be as economical as possible with the bandwidth. The truth is that with the more advanced codecs now in use and the DVDS-2 modulation schemes it's possible to get much more through less bandwidth.