Minitiouner

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8YTZ

Re: Minitiouner

Post by G8YTZ » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:06 pm

@F1TE I like the parallel TS outputs! many new opportunities with that.

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:32 am

"Great idea" but.... who's going to do it!

Another point to consider is that we deliberately made the MT PCB with leaded components to encourage home construction - something ATV has always encouraged - is it time to move away from that???

Noel

F1TE

Post by F1TE » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:37 am

Yes, of course, we must encourage personal construction.
I often tell those who are hesitant that you can't go wrong, on a soldering iron, the handle is on the cold side. :D
But it must be recognized that to encourage activity, it is better to offer ready-made modules.
Look at all the Chinese modules we offer ??
SMD technology lowers costs.
And for my part, my ORCAD suite (capture/Layout) is always ready to return to service, as I suggested to F6DZP to make the PCBs for the Minitiouners PRO and Single.

"Vaste programme".

73, Lucien F1TE
PS Sorry, but given my level in English, I use Google translate a lot HI.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:20 pm

So something like this perhaps?
MinitunerV3.jpg
MinitunerV3.jpg (216.63 KiB) Viewed 113966 times
(Don't worry, it is only a mock up)

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:57 pm

From my experience you could also delete the dc-dc converter, saving a few extra pennies and reducing the component count.

I have always powered my minitiouners directly from the USB 5V and have never had a problem.

You would still need the power input socket to provide LNB power if you need it.

Colin G4EML

g8ayc

Post by g8ayc » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:42 am

There's something to be said about using an external bias-t. You don't run the risk of blowing up the internal Serit chokes and it makes it easy to switch between WB and NB polarisations.

Regarding SMD - there would only be a few components. I have no trouble with soldering SMD components. If this 73 year old can do it I can't see why younger members can't!

Nigel G8AYC

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:37 pm

g8ayc wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:42 am
I have no trouble with soldering SMD components. If this 73 year old can do it I can't see why younger members can't!

Nigel G8AYC
Have you considered you may be one of the younger members?

I agree, SMD is easy, if not easier, as long as the parts are not too small. However, a specification is a specification and that's currently to not use SMD unless there isn't an alternative. One of the biggest problems people have with SMD arises from not using thin enough solder, 0.3mm, not 0.6mm. This isn't helped by the thinner stuff being harder to find.

5V power good - but we would need a different connector. USB-C perhaps, for the full 2.5A experience. Also a proper cable that doesn't drop too much.

On the Winterhill I used an LM317 to limit the 12V current as a simple bias supply.

Mike

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:44 pm

g4eml wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:57 pm
From my experience you could also delete the dc-dc converter, saving a few extra pennies and reducing the component count.
I could keep it but instead delete the two 3.3V regulators. With a DC-DC giving the 3.3V and with extra filtering for analog, just like I did in the Winterhill. Another little switcher for the 1.1V digital supply. It would probably have to be an SMD one though. That would allow a fairly wide supply range, ideal for running of batteries and would be more efficient.

Mike

G8IKP

Post by G8IKP » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:18 pm

I like the idea of bringing it up to date with usbc . Plenty of reasonably priced 65 watt power units, auto swithching to power phones and laptops needing 5,9,12,21v outputs. Also higher powered usbc cables to match.
I only need to take one charger away with me for most of my gadgets. John G8IKP
John G8IKP

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:43 pm

I have started writing a program for the Raspberry Pi Pico to use it in place of the FTDI module. It is progressing well and looks like it might be possible to get it to work with Longmynd and Ryde with little on no changes to their code, but it will probably not be possible to make it work with the Minitione software. That uses the FTDI drivers in Windows, and I am pretty sure they only work with genuine FTDI chips.

Hopefully I can do the first testing in the next couple of days. If it works I am sure Mike will be able to come up with a new PCB for Minitiouner V3.

Colin G4EML

Return to “General ATV Discussion”