DATV on 5.6Ghz

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G6MNJ

DATV on 5.6Ghz

Post by G6MNJ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:32 pm

Spurred on by the availability of FPV FM ATV kit it struck me why not investigate DATV on this band and so with a Pluto set to 6Ghz max frequency and the prospect of F5OEO Portsdown or other it seemed reasonably straightforward to make a TX signal.

However RX was a little more challenging and it is here I ask for suggestions. Clearly the Minitiouner and software would be a obvious choice but the Serit tuner will not directly tune to 5.6Ghz. So I thought C band to L band converter maybe? But of course they were from a time when the world was analogue and almost certainly not frequency stable enough for DATV.

So people what do you suggest to get a received 5.6Ghz DATV signal down in frequency to fee into a Minitioune?

73 Paul G6MNJ

radiogareth

Re: DATV on 5.6Ghz

Post by radiogareth » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:50 pm

Been there and done that Paul, as follows.....
Portsdown4 and Pluto 'for the brave' stops at around 4.3GHz, something to do with a 32bit overflow...
However, ExpressDVB Transmitter software will work at the required frequency but can be tricky to decode as its apparently a bit rough around the edges.
If you drive the Pluto with 0303 software from a PC with DATVEasy 2.17 it will generate without issues.
For RX, I used a real 'wing and prayer' solution. Antenna into a filter, then a suitable mixer with IF provided by an eBay keyboard ADF4351, then pipe-cap filter to let 3.4GHz through.
Then into a probe (sma+1/4 wave) mounted in the side of a Titanium 3.4GHz C band LNB, then IF out to the RX. I was amazed that it worked, but it did, although sometimes prone to oscillation.
I'm now building a combined 9cm & 6cm box with big PAs and using an Ionica 3.4 front end for 9 (they are good) and a similar down-conversion process from 6cm to 9cm (Mixer and LO & Filters).
Its on the bench for this winter finishing.....
Good luck...
Gareth

Return to “General ATV Discussion”