Uprating a Fan controller

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Uprating a Fan controller

Post by radiogareth » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:04 pm

I have been using nice little automatic fan speed controllers like this unit https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193665387194 ... R-Tv3Ni4YQ although my PCB is slightly different.
Its designed for running standard 12V fans, a job it does admirably, even a high-flow 0.7A monster I recently fitted to my MRF300 amp. As the amp warms up, the fan speed increases. It is apparently configurable, but the method is so obscure and the standard programme it comes with works so well...if it ain't broke, don't fix it....
The next project uses 2 MFR300's and with a potential to absorb 750W at 50V I found a BNIB 48V fan on eBay. Its a beast at full voltage - almost certainly more than I need even for key-down operation with CW. Looking at the circuit and doing a bit of probing I have gleaned that its probably a uC that does the temperature sensing and an output then drives a SMPSU section with a ramping up voltage as the temperature rises. The board has an on-board regulator for the uC at 5V. The SMPSU diode is a 40V 1A part and the output capacitor is only a 16V unit. Unfortunately the switching transistor/MOSFET has no markings, but I'd assume its not anything special. On my PCB it looks like the uC drives a switching transistor which then drives the SMPSU switch. If I isolate the +12V feed to the SMPSU switching device, replace it with 50V and upgrade the switching device and diode to something with a higher VDS/VCE/Id/ICE, along with a suitable rated output capacitor, I think I might have a solution. Other than finding a high side P-Type or PNP device, any possible problems anyone can see? The alternative is a thermal switch and a suitable series resistor, but it would be nice to do a low-loss load dependant job on it.....the +12V line is the track labelled 123.
Gareth
Fan controller.jpg
Fan controller.jpg (229.25 KiB) Viewed 7111 times

M5TXJ

Re: Uprating a Fan controller

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Hi Gareth,

that all makes perfect sense to me and well worth a try. I would however put a diode in series with the 12V supply just in case something fails and back feeds 48V to the 12V input.

73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:25 pm

I think the uC is probably a PIC16F88 or similar. Why not just fit an external P-channel FET (such as IRF9540), cap & diode. It would save hacking the board.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:27 am

Thats a nice idea, little piggyback board just sharing the PWM signal......
Thanks
Gareth

i2NDT

Post by i2NDT » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:23 am

i2NDT Claudio
Dalmine, Italia

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:18 am

Aahh, yes, good try but the poor little mosfet will have to dissipate the difference between PSU (50V) and fan V.... :-)
Gareth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:29 pm

Right, after some thinking and a bit of experimenting....I have a solution....
The first thing I tried was to isolate the DC feed to the P-Type switch, powering the basic PCB from 8V (enough to allow a 78L05 to regulate for the control circuitry) and adding a 13.8V feed for the P-type. The fan ran at 13.8V which I thought odd...until I noticed a PULL-UP 330R resistor that had been connected to the original positive rail. So the FET was on all the time, feeding the 13.8 to the fan. Replacing the resistor with something a bit bigger (500R) and swapping out the capacitor for a 25V electrolytic seemed wise. The system now worked as I expected, board running off low voltage, fan running off a higher one.
Moving on the the fan itself, I tried it at 28V (50V rated) and it was still blowing a gale and at a slightly reduced current of 0.5A.
As I could vary the fan PSU feed voltage from a LM2596HVS (high voltage variant of the LM2596 buck converter) I thought I'd try 24V (best give the electrolytic a little headroom ;-)) The fan doesn't quite start (needs a bigger KICK at power-on, something I believe may be configurable on the Fan controller board, a ZF1X3L) but if the thermistor is warmed up it quickly ran up to speed and drew 0.45A.
The 78L05 is supplying only a few mA to the micro and tiny LED and stayed cool.
So the only mod really was to change the output capacitor to a higher voltage unit. Probably no need to up the gate pull-up either and there is every chance that the switching FET is a 30V device....so it should survive....
Just dont supply it with 50V.....that's far too hopeful!
Gareth

Return to “General ATV Discussion”