DTMF control

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M5TXJ

DTMF control

Post by M5TXJ » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:14 pm

Hi all,

Some of you may be aware that I've just built and installed an internet repeater to try and encourage activity up here in N Cumbria. It's a very simple affair with a Ryde and a Portsdown stream server, also a Pi video source running a slide carousel. Now while I can solder pretty well and I can chew holes in pieces of metal, software is a black art that is well beyond my abilities. I have included a DTMF decoder (Chinese device from Ebay) which along with an Arduino Uno can turn on or off the Ryde info with single digits, the limit of my sketch hacking skills!

Well, I'd like to expand this to do other things such as to be able to shutdown parts of the system and reboot, the video source recently needed a reboot and in winter a visit to do that could prove impossible at 2,200ft. I've noticed that other repeaters have 3 or 4 digit DTMF commands, is there a sketch for an Arduino or an image for a Pi out there that would suit my needs or have all these been custom written for their specific repeater? Any advice gratefully received.

73 Dave 'TXJ
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: DTMF control

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Hi Dave

The new Raspberry Pi based BATC repeater controller accepts DTMF commands and can switch external devices based on those commands. Of course it can also provide your slideshow and switch between that and the Ryde receiver, but you do not need to use those facilities (yet!).

The functionality is configurable from a text file: https://github.com/davecrump/atv-rptr/b ... config.txt

More details here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Repeater_Controller. You can build an SD Card in the same way as you would for a Portsdown.

Dave, G8GKQ

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:22 pm

Hi Dave,

I think the BATC controller is currently overkill for the simple setup we have at the moment. If I can stir up activity it's definitely on the cards in future. I'm pleased to report that a BATC member has offered to help me with the project in the meantime. See you at CAT22.

T'other Dave.

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Hello Dave,

we also have a Rasperry as a repeater control. On very rare occasions (usually when the internet is gone) it hangs.

I built a DTMF evaluator MT8870 (there is a small ready-made board) and an Arduino. That controls a relay with a 5 tone DTMF sequence.
The relay is always unswitched and only pulls the voltage from the Raspberry for a certain amount of time (10 seconds in our case).
After 10 seconds the relay drops out again and the Raspie is supplied with voltage.

Are you looking for something like this?

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:09 pm

Dave,

Just seen your call out for a DTMF decoder, I have a little built pcb and a spare kit that was used on GB3PV, are you interested in both or one built/kit.

link:

https://cstech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads ... tails1.pdf

Brian (G6HFS) info on qrz.com
Attachments
E5673E37-C4E1-4D80-BEFA-2531A72FAAAE.jpeg
E5673E37-C4E1-4D80-BEFA-2531A72FAAAE.jpeg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 3356 times

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:49 pm

Hi Thomas,

We have an MT8870 module connected to a Uno, it's the software I was struggling with, now being assisted.

Brian,

Thanks for the offer but I think we're sorted now.

73 Dave

Return to “General ATV Discussion”