Music accompanying UK ATV videos.

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Music accompanying UK ATV videos.

Post by Basil » Sat May 07, 2022 1:01 pm

I had assumed, seemingly wrongly, that none commercial music was OK accompanying ATV videos, even from UK stations on DATV. As the ATV medium is a medium that needs to attract younger amateurs, like amateur radio in general, might there not be a case for not stifling their artistic bents? It is after all a medium where artistic bent might well be represented alongside RF technology knowledge and experimentation. Would a representation to OFCOM asking if an exemption might be made for none commercial music to be allowed from UK ATV stations to accompany their vidoes gain any support and have a realistic chance of consideration? Videos without music are often bland, and a musical soundtrack added with taste and moderation can add a lot.

Chris, 2E0ILY, asking not only selfishly, as I am old and definitely have little artistic bent :)

EDIT

I thought I would look at the precise wording of the licence terms and conditions in regard to playing music, and to my surprise I can find zero reference to this applicable to either Intermediate or Full UK licence holders.

I downloaded what I believe are all the current licence terms and conditions from both OFCOM and the RSGB sites and I consider I read them pretty thoroughly albeit after a few beers, as well as searching them electronically for reference to "music".

Has anyone got a link to the current terms and conditions citing it is against the regulations for Intermediate or Full UK amateur radio licence holders to add music to ATV videos, or indeed the playing of none copyright music in general?

UK copyright law is clearly relevant at a general level, amateur radio aside.

Thanks, it seems with an admittedly initial perusal of the documents this is perhaps an area greyer than at first apparent, and generally believed.

g8lce

Re: Music accompanying UK ATV videos.

Post by g8lce » Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 am

Music is audio data and can push the limits of a system. Copyright must be considered. Moving pictures and complex audio can really test a DATV setup.

Here is a link to the GB3NQ beacon test video on YouTube https://youtu.be/E1LxkeDpC0g

or watch it on the BATC Streamer. It is broadcast at 12 noon and every hour until 10PM.

Other videos I have made seem to push the data stream over the edge so lots of experimenting continues.....

Martin G8LCE

PS I hold all the copyrights

g7ocd

Post by g7ocd » Tue May 10, 2022 8:55 pm

Basil wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 1:01 pm
Thanks, it seems with an admittedly initial perusal of the documents this is perhaps an area greyer than at first apparent, and generally believed.
At face value it's not a grey area at all.
The section 1(9) in BR68 rev9 which used to prohibit music and speeches does not feature in the new terms and conditions at all.

The grey area comes with new clause 1(1)(b) "commercial acitvity" which may include
your payment of any royalties to the rights holder (PRS, even if it is your own rendition
of a piece). PPL probably doesn't apply (because the amateur service is inherently NOT
a broadcast service).

There is also a HUGE amount of contemporary material to be found on the internet
under a permissive/open/copyleft type terms, just check them carefully because there
may be clauses such as a mandate for attribution and attribution could be viewed as
endorsement/advertising and, onwardly, commercial activity.

Alternatively stick with stuff which is in the public domain with no strings attached.

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed May 11, 2022 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply, it seems retention of expired documents by "the Internet" is the probable cause of confusion. Historic terms and conditions get read and assimilated as current unless people are very careful, and some of it is not very clearly dated. I think those that privately warned me about OFCOM and the RSGB forbidding the playing of music on the air must have been referring to, or remembering, older documents, but I thought it best to check.

I will reboot my creativity drive with more confidence, being cautious not to present anything copyright et cetera. Thanks again and all the best.

Best regards, Chris Wilson.

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed May 11, 2022 9:42 am

g8lce wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:39 am
Music is audio data and can push the limits of a system. Copyright must be considered. Moving pictures and complex audio can really test a DATV setup.

Here is a link to the GB3NQ beacon test video on YouTube https://youtu.be/E1LxkeDpC0g

or watch it on the BATC Streamer. It is broadcast at 12 noon and every hour until 10PM.

Other videos I have made seem to push the data stream over the edge so lots of experimenting continues.....

Martin G8LCE

PS I hold all the copyrights
Thank you Martin, that was an interesting watch, being new I hadn't considered how much load music might add to a setup, over silence or the spoken word. Appreciated.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”