G4MLY - SK

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4GHD

G4MLY - SK

Post by G4GHD » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Sad to hear that Ian Vincent, G4MLY, is now SK. A keen and popular ATVer in the south east (originally located in Belvedere), he hadn't been active in a long while after getting married.
I'm not sure of the details or even exactly when he passed on, but he was instrumental in my developing an interest in ATV back in the 90s and will be much missed by the ATV community.

FWIW, my video of him back in 1995: https://youtu.be/nNmFC393gtU

G4HTZ

Re: G4MLY - SK

Post by G4HTZ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:55 pm

Sad news Gary
Worked Ian a few times on 24cms …always in awe of his construction skills with water cooled 2C39 13cms amps and the like
Believe he was also one of the original team when GB3KT was trying to get licenced from the isle of sheppy .
RIP Ian
Steve G4HTZ

ASHEN nr Sudbury JO02GB52 90m ASL

70cms DATV portsdown 4 + RYDE rx …14 or 18 ele yagi …LNA …hopefully 100w amp at some point

Keith G8VMP

Post by Keith G8VMP » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:53 am

Ian was ill for a few years with cancer - but did not let on.
It finally took him just before last christmas - but not many people knew - he was very private about it.

I knew him for many years and enjoyed may ATV contacts with him before I moved qth 20 years ago, and he got married and settled down.
He was a really good guy - with knowledge and skills he was happy to share.

Rest in Peace Ian - and thanks for the chats

G4MHJ

Post by G4MHJ » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:51 pm

I have just seen these posts about Ian Vincent which has shocked me.

In 1980 I met Ian at Eltham College when studying for the RAE. We sat together and after a time I used to give him a lift from his home in Belvedere to and from the college. Very often after the lessons we and others would frequent a local hostelry with the Tutor G3ZCV - Norman Harper (SK). After we all passed the RAE Norman invited us all to his home for CW lessons and we called our little club the "Fanny Hill ARC" This name coming from the book that Norman sent his CW from.
Ian and I would continue with local 2m FM contacts and he actually got me to receive one of his ATV transmissions via an old analogue Sky box (we only lived a mile away from each other).
Years later he got married and his husband shared the same interest in garden plants as my XYL. When we visited their home on the Abbey Wood Belvedere border we were amazed at their garden.
We used to meet on Facebook but this all stopped and I had wondered if something was wrong as I knew he went to The Royal Marsden for what he called "trials". Little did I know then how serious it was.

I will always remember him for the state of his Shack Floor which was difficult to find a clear space to walk on - it was our little joke!

Rest in Peace dear friend.

Bob Hewitt G4MHJ

Chris G

Post by Chris G » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:13 pm

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of Ian. He was a very active ATV operator with a lot of homebrew gear. I too remember him talking about the water-cooled 2C39s! He was a very early member of the Kent Television Group and I believe built some units for it. He would often be present on our stand at rallies explaining ATV gear. He had an impressive array of testgear too. I had fairly regular 23Cm video QSOs with Ian from 1993 to 1998. Condolences to his family and friends. Chris, G8GHH. Ex G6ALR/T.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”