Waveguide polarisation??

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Waveguide polarisation??

Post by radiogareth » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:59 pm

I have tried google, but not got a definitive answer....
I have a rectangular LNB for 3.4GHz, allegedly destined for a cruise ship. It works fine, but has only a single probe and therefore no option to change polarity. Tests across the shack with a very throttled back Pluto and a small vertical antenna have not convinced me completely, but i THINK if I want to receive a horizontal signal, the WG should be mounted with the wider dimension VERTICAL, which would place the probe inside horizontal.
I'm going on the roof tomorrow (too cold today) and hope to fit it there for GB3JV reception.
Advice from the hive please... :-)
Gareth

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Waveguide polarisation??

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:07 pm

Hi Gareth

Yes, C-band LNBs are usually single polarity with any polarity mangling usually taking place in the feed.

The waveguide should be mounted in "portrait" mode for horizontal polarisation. Think of the feed probe as part of a dipole and then it all makes sense.

Be careful on the roof!

Dave

radiogareth

Re: Waveguide polarisation??

Post by radiogareth » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Thanks Dave, yes, that makes sense and matches with the experiments in the shack.
I always hold on with all 4 limbs.....never fun the first journey to the ridge but actually easy and safe-ish access as far as roof ladders go....
Gareth

Return to “General ATV Discussion”