Is connector position important on POTY antennas?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Is connector position important on POTY antennas?

Post by Basil » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:47 am

I want to make another, or modify my existing POTY antenna to use an N type connector rather than the existing SMA. Is the location of the connector on the discs important please? Thanks.

M5TXJ

Re: Is connector position important on POTY antennas?

Post by M5TXJ » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:52 am

Not just important, CRITICAL I'd say.

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

Basil

Post by Basil » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:44 am

Thanks, it's times like this 137kHz LF looks good again! I have found an Amphenol long body, right angle PCB mount N type jack that might squueze in to my set up, Digikey have them, so if I remove the SMA and solder up the 2 screw holes, drill the centre pin hole out a tad, and solder on the N type keeping the centre pin hole in the same place as the original SMA hole centre, I should be OK? Thanks a lot!
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/d ... amphenolrf

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:51 am

Yes that should be ok, you may need a spacer if any of the connector body protrudes into the gap between the plates, that's a definite no-no.

Edit; looking at the link, I think the centre pin will need extending as the body will need spacing to allow fitting the plug.

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:06 pm

Gareth has a much better solution to that. Eliminate the connector on the POTY itself. Instead use a piece of semi-rigid or semi-flex, one end with a connector on it, the other end prepare the cable to solder it directly to the plates. This takes up a lot less space.

Mike

Basil

Post by Basil » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:41 am

g0mjw wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:06 pm
Gareth has a much better solution to that. Eliminate the connector on the POTY itself. Instead use a piece of semi-rigid or semi-flex, one end with a connector on it, the other end prepare the cable to solder it directly to the plates. This takes up a lot less space.

Mike
Thanks Mike (and Gareth...) I am liking that idea a lot. But what semi ridgid should I use to future proof my PA install for the day I hopefully get my full license and can run more than 50 W from this three semiconductor beast?

I would prefer to do it once and right, rather than have to furtle about with the POTY, cabling and sockets again. The PA has a 7/16 socket and I have plenty of LDF4-50 cable and N and 7/16 connectors for that coax, but I am not sure if soldering LDF4-50 direct to the POTY is feasible or desirable. Probably some transition from a short length of smaller semi ridgid to the LDF4-50 via a plug and socket??

Thanks!

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:07 am

I used a 'surplus' SMA to N-Type panel mount and just removed the SMA. With a temp '8' chisel bit in my 50W weller iron, I was able to solder the outer to the back disc and the inner similarly to the square element. I made a mount to attach the N-Type to one of the dish LNB support arms. My thinking was 'one connector less' and no adaptor as able to go directly to 4-500 feeder cable.
Mounting of the N-type will need to be dreamt up to suit your own dish. The larger photo shows what I had before, so I've lost one connector and reduced the small hard-line to 1/10 of the original length.
Gareth
POTY_ARM.jpg
POTY_ARM.jpg (248.24 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
Attachments
POTY feed.jpg
POTY feed.jpg (93.64 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
Last edited by radiogareth on Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:32 am

The power should be OK if you use the right semi-rigid. The thicker stuff is not very flexible though. RG402 should handle 200W at 2.4 GHz but don't exceed the 1/2" minimum bend radius. RG405 it thinner but won't handle more than 50W.

Mike

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:12 am

Thanks, that does look neat and lower loss than 90 degree connectors!

Return to “General ATV Discussion”