3 D Printer addvice

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
gu6efb

3 D Printer addvice

Post by gu6efb » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi Group

I think I may regret asking this question as I think the answer maybe how long is a piece of string anyway her goes.

I know very little about 3D printing but would like to purchase one after seeing all the nice 3D printed parts that get shown on the Thursday BATC net.
After looking at what’s available I find myself more confused than ever so what is a reasonable 3D printer that won’t cost the earth but will give acceptable results for the money and prints using PLA and ABS etc., not looking for any huge just a desktop type unit.

Thanks
Keith GU6EFB

g0mjw

Re: 3 D Printer addvice

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:10 pm

Difficult question to answer. I have a Prusa Mini and a Flashforge Dreamer. They are different but both work. Each was about £300. Cheaper options are available, the really cheap ones are best avoided but there are some good value models from Creality etc.

PLA is the standard filament. It's easiest to print with. ABS is also popular. Other filaments are available for different purposes but usually cost a bit more. If you like bright colours you are in luck.

For a beginner the Prusa is a popular option as there is a large community of people complaining/praising its features - just like a ham radio group. The Dreamer is nice but a little noisy. Both give good results.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers ... -mini.html - £361 for UK, £300 for you with no VAT to pay.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flashforge-Dre ... ast_sto_dp £400, was cheaper when I got mine.

Mike

m1cdq

Post by m1cdq » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:18 pm

have a big delve in to the videos by thomas slanader on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb8Rde ... ROUVg46h1A

lots and lots of info

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:19 pm

I've been very pleased with my Prusa I3V3 and its done around 180 days work with negligible attention required. Ender 3 Pro is a lot cheaper, no personal experience but have heard good things.
I particularly like the magnetic removable build plate on my I3, outstanding print adhesion and quick turnaround.
Expect to have to learn decent 3-D CAD to build much beyond the many 'handy' things you may find on Thingyverse. Designspark Mechanical, free from RS has endless training videos and is 'proper' stuff.
Gareth

gm1mfn

Re: 3 D Printer advice

Post by gm1mfn » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:01 pm

Tinkercad is a free online 3D design package which is incredibly easy to use. There are some lessons online but there's a wealth of experience on YouTube. You should have your first widget ready for printing within an hour of starting the design.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”