3D Printing Design Software

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
gm1mfn

3D Printing Design Software

Post by gm1mfn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 am

I know there are several members on here who do some 3D printing and I want to have a go myself. So I'm looking for recommendations for easy to use free 3D design software.

I don't intend to purchase a 3D printer so ideas for contract printing houses as well please.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

radiogareth

Re: 3D Printing Design Software

Post by radiogareth » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:39 am

There is a wide choice.....Designspark Mechanical from RS is pro standard and free, with endless tutorials and support forum. Its a steep learning curve for most CAD though and 'designing for 3-D printing' is another aspect to consider for success.
Gareth G4XAT

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:54 am

My reply clashed with Gareth's!

I agree that RS Design Spark Mechanical works well for 3D design and has some nice features. They have plenty of online tutorials to get you going.

I tried several 3D design programs and found this one the easiest to use. All 3D design programs need you to get your head around the way they work and this one seemed to 'click' with me. It seems to be aimed squarely at engineers. Some other programs seem to be aimed more at artists.

Colin G4EML

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks Gareth. I have already used the DesignSpark schematic and PCB layout software and found it pretty good (I think it's from the same house as EasyPC) so I will have a go at the mechanical.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:03 am

Well that's two of us....I use DSPCB too and it did what I needed. You will find print houses a bit expensive (IMHO) and unless it a known design you do run some risk of a bin-job. Don't bother with the really cheap 'Chinese' printers around the £150 mark, start looking at an Ender 3 Pro around the £280 mark or is you feel flush, a Prusa I3V3s will not disappoint but its £900 built /£700 kit. (I funded mine by selling off 'junk' both electrical/electronic and car parts that I'd picked up over a lifetime...). You will soon find uses for it beyond novelty shapes - mine has about 170 days worth of printing on it now, basic maintenance only....
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:32 am

Tinkercad. Simple. Not powerful. Adequate.

m1cdq

Post by m1cdq » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:58 pm

for what you will be charged outsourcing the actual printing. look at the creality ender range of 3d printers. just a couple of projects and it would have more than paid for itself.
the main search site for 3d designs is https://www.thingiverse.com/

files like this one. which is very easy to customise in Scad
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1264391

the ultimate box maker.. great for 3d printed cases

as said before tinkercad is a great program.. any 3d design software that can output in STL file format will do. its what you are use to

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:30 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. We moved from a four bedroom house to a two bedroom flat during the first week of lockdown last year and I don't really have anywhere to keep a 3D printer (no garage, shed or huge walk-in loft any more). However, there is a Men's Shed in the city and I believe they have one. I'll just have to wait for it to reopen.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”