Rasp Pi software has Microsoft Links added

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g1prx

Rasp Pi software has Microsoft Links added

Post by g1prx » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:15 pm

Recent raspberry pi downloads include a microsoft.gpg key which presumably sends data to microsoft.com
Details on how to remove and or block this file can be found on Jason's, KM4ACK youtube channel released today.

:o G1PRX

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Rasp Pi software has Microsoft Links added

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:01 pm

Whilst it might have been a mis-step from the Raspberry Pi Foundation to include the Microsoft GPG key and reference to Microsoft repositories without some notification, much of the reaction to this change comes into the "Conspiracy Theory" category.

The change was aimed at making it easier for programmers to download the the VS Code editor (as I understand it for use with the Raspberry Pi Pico), not at allowing Microsoft to harvest more data.

When you run an update, the Raspberry Pi checks with a number of servers to check the latest version of packages. Very few Raspberry Pi users could even name one of the existing servers. Microsoft servers have now been added to that list, and a gpg key provided to allow the easy installation of the VS Code Editor. Authoritative details from the RaspberryPi Foundation here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1813830

I do not currently have any plans to remove the reference to Microsoft in my Raspberry Pi builds, but will keep the situation under review.

Dave, G8GKQ

g8lce

Re: Rasp Pi software has Microsoft Links added

Post by g8lce » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:34 am

I am walking around with aluminium foil over my head as I have been vaccinated against Covid 19 and don't want to be tracked with my new chip in my arm!
Of coarse my smartphone does not allow them to track me.

BUT one thing that might be useful is to keep your spare car keys in a tin box if you have keyless unlocking. You should really do this at night with your keys too but that may be a bit over the top in Cornwall.

Martin G8LCE

Return to “General ATV Discussion”