Looking for info on BSB receiver conversion mods

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
m0ofx

Looking for info on BSB receiver conversion mods

Post by m0ofx » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi there,

Many years ago, there was a series of articles in CQ-TV about modifying BSB receivers to receive D2MAC and PAL signals. There are some comments in the articles about EPROM images and source code being available from a variety of now-defunct BBSes and FTP sites.

Does anyone still have copies of these files, or anything else related to BSB recevier repurposing?

I'd especially like to hear if anyone has notes on how to write things to the on-screen display on the Philips, Tatung, Decca, Nokia or Ferguson receivers.

73's de Phil M0OFX

g8gtz

Re: Looking for info on BSB receiver conversion mods

Post by g8gtz » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:15 pm

Hi Phil,

Your best bet is to have a look at the index on the wiki: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Index_of_articles

It's not complete as no-one has volunteered to complete it yet, but covers the period when this would have been published.

Rather than trawling through it manually, if you Google "BATC wiki BSB" it comes back with 3 or 4 references that maybe of use.

Noel - G8GTZ

m0ofx

Post by m0ofx » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:22 am

Hi Noel,

That's exactly what I've been doing :)

I've read the articles, but what I'm missing are the files.

There's an article in CQ-TV 159 (by Trevor Brown G8CJS) which refers to a modified EPROM for the Philips receiver, done by Peter Anderson. Other software mods mentioned in that article were done by Richard Russell, Brandon Butterworth, and Steve Rogers.

It's the software -- the EPROMS. BIN/HEX files, assembly source -- and notes about how the receiver hardware works which I'm after.

For instance - there's an on-screen display inside the ACM module which Trac Satellite clearly figured out how to drive. I'm curious if anyone else pulled off that trick.

CQ-TV 161 (Trevor G8CJS again) mentions the Trac Satellite modified PAL/D2MAC version of the Ferguson receiver. I have one of those receivers on my bench, and would love to hear from anyone who has a copy of the instructions which they could send, photocopy or scan for me.

Cheers
Phil M0OFX

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:49 am

I had a look - it's 28 years ago and pre-dates google etc. I do remember but it's going to be hard to find I think.

Mike

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:38 am

Richard Russell is still round, http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/index.html

Or if you are on Twitter you could send him a PM https://twitter.com/richardtrussell?lang=en

Trevor can be contacted via the CQ-DATV magazine.

Good luck

Noel - G8GTZ

g8cjs

Post by g8cjs » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:46 pm

G0MJW I have had a look through my Eprom box and there is one EPROM that says D2MAC "F" I have no idea if it is what you want or if the data is intact, but if you email me you address "editor@cq-datv.mobi" I will pop it in the post. PAL mods I think involve hardware and we produced a PCB, I have looked in my collection and there is nothing BSB I am afraid.

I think all the BSB dishes are long gone and the journalist I used to work with that had a BSB jacket and thought it might one day be worth something may have been mis informed

Happy days Trevor G8CJS

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi Trevor - I am not the one looking for it. I think that was Phil M0OFX

Return to “General ATV Discussion”