A build worth presenting

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
KA5BBC

A build worth presenting

Post by KA5BBC » Mon May 25, 2020 9:39 am

I'm going to be putting in a bunch of overtime in the next few weeks so that I can from the building at least one, if not two, Portsdown and Langstone devices ready for the reopening of clubs and Hamfests in Oklahoma.
I want to be able to have a table or even a presentation slot so that I can promote ATV/DATV in general and the Portsdown & Langstone devices. (Unfortunately we don't have QO-100 access here otherwise it would have been an easy sell).
Once the overtime is over and I am starting the builds I will probably be asking a whole bunch of questions here and in the Facebook group so that I can build something worth demonstrating.

I will start with one question..
Beyond basics off the RPi & 7" screen, LimeSDR, MiniTouner, and Pluto what are the most important other items to obtain to build the best possible demonstration units that can also be used for field days and other events?
Bear in mind I do not have a limitless budget, paramedics don't get paid well here, so I need to get the biggest bang for my buck.

(one thing to consider is that my health and eyesight are deteriorating quickly so I can not work with SMD without help)
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: A build worth presenting

Post by G8GKQ » Mon May 25, 2020 11:04 am

Andy

I have found it is useful to have a domestic set-top box DVB-S/S2 receiver as a receive demonstration to provide a bridge back to the audience's comfort zone. Best to choose a cheap free-to-air box that is readily available in the USA although, given the level of cable penetration, I know that is not an easy ask.

Dave, G8GKQ

KA5BBC

Re: A build worth presenting

Post by KA5BBC » Mon May 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Long ago I did get hold of one of the "KOQIT DVB-S2 HD AC3 Digital Satellite Receiver" kits from eBay.. the one has the modified firmware available. It is in the pile of parts for the builds. If it works well with the half built Portsdown I will try to source a few more for both demos and possibly for a repeater input.

(Cable & satellite TV is actually on the decline here thanks to streaming services and reasonable FTA broadcasting.)
Andy, KA5BBC/MM0BQV

Return to “General ATV Discussion”