License Clarification

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
2i0jmt

License Clarification

Post by 2i0jmt » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me that this isn't specifically related to ATV, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

I noticed this in our license:

"7(6) In order to reduce the likelihood of causing Undue Interference, the Licensee shall
ensure that the Radio Equipment is capable of receiving Messages on the same frequencies
and with the same classes of emission in use for the transmission of Messages by the Radio
Equipment."

What does this mean exactly? There are many projects out there that our transmitters only. Does it simply mean that you should have some device in your shack capable of receiving the same frequency/mode that you are transmitting on?

Conversely, I'm assuming it's ok to have the TX and RX as the same device? (With only either tx or rx occuring at once)

In the case of Oscar-100, I take it I'd need something capable of receive the 13cm uplink signal?

Thanks
Last edited by 2i0jmt on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G4IUG

Re: License Clarification

Post by G4IUG » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Best not to ask ;)
Ex G6ANG/T and G8EAO

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:12 pm

2i0jmt wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 pm
Does it simply mean that you should have some device in your shack capable of receiving the same frequency/mode that you are transmitting on?

Conversely, I'm assuming it's ok to have the TX and RX as the same device? (With only either tx or rx occuring at once)

In the case of Oscar-100, I take it I'd need something capable of receive the 12cm uplink signal?

Thanks
Jonny: Yes, Yes and Yes. The MiniTioune DATV receiver will receive at 2400 MHz, so this suffices for DATV. However, for narrowband operation, you do need a narrowband 2400 MHz receiver (not just the Goonhilly WebSDR).

Dave, G8GKQ

2i0jmt

Post by 2i0jmt » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks Dave

I was hoping to get a LimeSDR Mini soon for the Portsdown I plan to build, and I'm pretty sure that would fit the bill?

Thanks

Jonny

Return to “General ATV Discussion”