Windows 10 IoT on Rasp Pi

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4ZCN

Windows 10 IoT on Rasp Pi

Post by G4ZCN » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:39 am

Has anyone installed W10 IoT on their Rasp Pi 3B+?

I was wondering if it can be used to run a Minitiouner??

Not being software savvy this might not be possible for the Pi.
Barry
G4ZCN
E: b.grylls@ntlworld.com

radiogareth

Re: Windows 10 IoT on Rasp Pi

Post by radiogareth » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am

Interesting thought. It runs no problems (30% CPU) on my Linx 12C64 which isn't that much faster than the latest RPi. Need someone who is in the know... (not me!).
Gareth

G4ZCN

Post by G4ZCN » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:59 am

be interesting to get some replies from "those that know" as you say Gareth.

2 touchscreens, 2 Rasp Pi's, a Minitioune Express and a DATV Express all in one box....perfect portable multiband solution.
Barry
G4ZCN
E: b.grylls@ntlworld.com

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:37 am

There is no reason an equivalent to minitiouner could not run on Linux. The problem is we do not know the API and I think John-Pierre doesn't have the time to re-write his excellent windows application for Linux. More people use Windows than Linux.

However, this all may soon be mute as we see software demodulators appear which will run on relatively low cost hardware. I can't see that happening soon enough for EsHail though.

Mike

djrm

Post by djrm » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi everyone,
I've just finished building my Minitioune and was also wondering if it could be used on a raspberrypi, but instead I've installed it on a 10 inch low cost windows 10 combination tablet with 1.8 GHz Atom processor, it seems to run ok, this is probably lower cost than a raspi with its add-ons. It display is just big enough to show all the tuner with a bit to spare. Someof thecontrols are usable with the touchscreen but it needs the keyboard for proper control. I shall try to get it connected to my satellite dish now and see some stations. The tablet it will be very portable if I find a power bank for the tuner, perhaps the tablet battery could double up, I havnt measured the current the tuner uses, I thinkit may be too much for it.
Kind regards, David.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:03 pm

I bought the Linx for a good blend of operating time (quiet a lot of hours), touchscreen, keyboard and a USB 3 port. For my £200 its a good blend. Works well with SDR# too, for capturing and decoding wxsat pics.
Had it nearly a year now so I'd assume something better has come along now.
Gareth

Return to “General ATV Discussion”