Equipment for Going Portable

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8JAN

Equipment for Going Portable

Post by G8JAN » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:34 am

Those who frequently go out operating ATV portable know there are limes when you just can't get your vehicle to the chosen spot. Weight and size of the equipment therefore needs careful consideration. Sure for talkback you can use a mobile phone if there is coverage in the area or possibly a handy..
I recently needed another dual band transceiver, not wanting to spend too much of my pension I decided to purchase an ANYTONE 778 UV for £89 at the Newark rally.
For the price it's brilliant and very well made. Being only the size of a book and weighing very little it's ideal for portable ATV work with a maximum output of 25 watts at 13 Volts DC it runs happily from the usual SLAB's. Have a look on the net for further information but make no mistake this is quality little radio.
It's taken me a little while to get my head around the various functions and as usual the manual is not too helpful. The biggest problem has been locating the correct programming software, but I see now the correct downloads have been placed on the makers website. Setup version 2 worked straight away on my radio after hours trying to get Setup version 1 to work! Previously setup 1 was the only version I could find.
So if you need a small compact rig for going ATV portable or a spare rig in the shack have a look at this one. For the price you won't be disappointed.

Pete
G8JAN

g8vpg

Re: Equipment for Going Portable

Post by g8vpg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm

Pete,
I tried a very similar compact Chinese dual band rig. Everything you say is true, but the problem I had was that it was very prone to front end overloading, to the extent that reception was impossible on a hill top with a well sited aerial. I changed it for a Yaesu FT2900 and have had no such trouble since. I hope yours performs better.
73 Shaun.

G8JAN

Re: Equipment for Going Portable

Post by G8JAN » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:00 pm

g8vpg wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:24 pm
Pete,
I tried a very similar compact Chinese dual band rig. Everything you say is true, but the problem I had was that it was very prone to front end overloading, to the extent that reception was impossible on a hill top with a well sited aerial. I changed it for a Yaesu FT2900 and have had no such trouble since. I hope yours performs better.
73 Shaun.
Hi Shaun so far I've not had a problem but Amateur activity locally is a bit sparse to say the least! I know some Chinese rigs are a bit prone to overloading problems. Having said that it seems good value for what it does and I just wanted it as a spare really. I've been running Yaesu gear for years. Currently I have the FT 7900R. But I have just given away a FT8100 which went deaf on VHF. It was always a bag of nails. :( :(

Return to “General ATV Discussion”