"Solent" G8MCQ 23cm Transmitter PLL

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
2W0ODS

"Solent" G8MCQ 23cm Transmitter PLL

Post by 2W0ODS » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:28 pm

Hi All,

Couldn't see a introduction section here so first of all wanted to say hello!
I'm Dale 2W0ODS based in Newport South Wales, bit of a radio/tv/satellite and hifi enthusiast.

Currently messing around with a "Solent" 23cm C8MCQ transmitter, mine doesn't have the PLL board fitted and just has a multiturn pot to set the frequency. Bit of a long shot as this has been out of production for so long, I'm thinking about fitting either an internal PLL board if I can source one or are there any alternatives I can use/build externally?

Also currently starting work on the Portsdown project, gradually getting parts together for this and rather excited.
3.5" LCD will be with me tomorrow and going to 3D print a Bezel for it to go in a chassis, will share the STL file when I get around to doing that.

Actively involved with all things radio, especially SDR and active within the satellite RX community, I have a number of dishes here mainly for broadcast RX on polar mounts and diseqc motors, I have some PLL LNB's on order ready to modify for some 10GHz stuff and looking forward to Es'hail 2.

Although I'm a radio amateur I prefer higher frequencies and not active on HF these days.

Nice to meet you all, love the magazine :)

G0CFD

Re: "Solent" G8MCQ 23cm Transmitter PLL

Post by G0CFD » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi Dale,

Did you ever get any response regarding your request for info about the PLL for the Solent TX please?

I've got the kit which I am about to build and would like to add the PLL. I've found the circuit, component details and placements, but not the PCB or artwork although it's a fairly simple circuit so it won't be difficult to reproduce. Also, the SP5060 chip seems to have been discontinued and on fleabay sell for £40+ each - whether they are genuine or not I don't know.

How did you get on with your enquiry in the end, or did you give up on it?

Frank.
G0CFD.
I want to die in my sleep just like my grandad did,
Unlike his passengers who were shouting and screaming 😬

G0CFD

Post by G0CFD » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:49 pm

Further to my previous post, I've just discovered that the SP5070 is a direct replacement for the SP5060 - See: https://symkrilag.uk/shop/integrated-ci ... ser-14dip/ It's in stock at time of writing and a lot cheaper than the SP5060 on fleabay!

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Dale

Somewhere amongst my collection of odds & sods is a pair of synthesizer boards marketed by the Worthing Repeater Group in the late 80s / early 90s. They are fitted vertically on the ground plane of the main PCB adjacent to the VCO.

One of them has 2 x crystals switched via diodes and the other IIRC has a single crystal. Output frequency is xtal freq. x 256. I don't need them as my Solent is an original G8CMQ version and has his synthesizer that is based on a LC7317 CB radio synthesizer chip. It's set by DIP switched and covers most of the band.

If you are interested let me know and I'll see if I can find them.

Clive G3GJA

G0CFD

Post by G0CFD » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:18 am

Hello Clive,
I'm interested if you still have them?
Thanks,
Frank.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”