Software for 5.6Ghz Streaming repeater help needed

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
glen_turner2002

Software for 5.6Ghz Streaming repeater help needed

Post by glen_turner2002 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi we are setting up a 5.6Ghz Streaming repeater on a tower block in Ancoats Manchester with a dish pointing towards Warrington as we do not have any ATV coverage here at all.
We have the location and internet plus the materials to set it up but we don't know what software to use. We were thinking can we use a Raspberry PI and an Easy Cap? We could use another type of computer is needs be.
Is there any software to do this and put a testcard up when no video is being received?

Once this is done we will need to stream this to the BATC. If this is successful we could add additional receivers to either cover a greater area or different bands...

Thanks for any help

Glen - G7MNP

g8vpg

Re: Software for 5.6Ghz Streaming repeater help needed

Post by g8vpg » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Glen,
To stream to the BATC, you will need a Pi3b or 3b+, an EZcap as supplied by the BATC shop (others may work but are not supported) and a copy of the latest Portsdown software. Details about how to set this up are in the BATC Wiki. Make certain you supply the Pi with 5.2V at the GPIO pins from a decent 2A psu or you will have all manner of streaming hiccups.
Assuming that you are using good old analogue FM on 5.6GHz, then you can use a simple line sync detector based on a NE567 tone detector chip at 15625Hz to detect incoming video and this can drive a relay to switch between testcard or through video. This is how all repeaters worked before digital modulation complicated matters. You can set the Portsdown to only send video when it is keyed by an incoming signal thus saving the cost of continuous upload streaming if you prefer. You can use a cheap media player box to give a test card or a whole sequence of pictures as many repeaters do, but try to find one that boots to play on power up, otherwise it will just display the menu page after a power cut and need manual intervention to get it playing again.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

glen_turner2002

Post by glen_turner2002 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi Shaun.

Thanks for the reply. You have given me a lot of info, a lot of things to look into.

Thank you!

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Glen

As Shaun says, the Portsdown software running on the Raspberry Pi 3B or 3B+ using an EasyCap would take care of your streaming requirements. The standard build will do exactly what you want with no modification - you just need to set up the stream address and put the software into the required boot-up mode (from the Portsdown console setup menu).

Please e-mail me if you need specific details - I can also set up the stream for you.

Dave, G8GKQ

GW0KAX

Post by GW0KAX » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Hi All,

I'm thinking of building a similar Streaming system here in Cardiff.

I was planning on buying a 4G Router and use a Portsdown to stream to the BATC Site, but general research on the Internet seems to indicate that if you stream video (eg IP Camera) you need a fixed IP address with a higher Monthly cost!, systems that don't require a Fixed IP seem to have proprietary systems for viewing them...

I would only stream when there was Video present to reduce Data costs, which the Portsdown can do.

All advice welcome!

Petrie
GW0KAX

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Petrie

For the Portsdown to stream to the BATC server, there is absolutely no need for a fixed IP address. However, you do need to be careful that your 4G provider allows rtmp traffic on the network.

It is the server component (that the BATC provide) that needs a fixed IP address, not the stream source.

Dave, G8GKQ

GW0KAX

Post by GW0KAX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Ok Thanks Dave,

I'll ask the Provider the question.

Petrie
GW0KAX

Return to “General ATV Discussion”