QRM FROM LCD MONITORS

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4uvz

QRM FROM LCD MONITORS

Post by G4uvz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Several recent /P ventures have been compromised by poor 2M talkback. The problem I have tracked to the LCD Monitor which causes broadband noise across 2M which gets worse when the monitor receives a synced video signal. This is primarily an issue on 6cm analogue.
Interestingly when using MINITUNE on DATV with a laptop there is no such problem...so IT experts ..is there an easy way to feed an analogue 75ohm video signal via USB maybe into a standard laptop?

G8PEF

Re: QRM FROM LCD MONITORS

Post by G8PEF » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:41 pm

Is this not what the EasyCap dongle, sold in the BATC shop, does?

G4uvz

Post by G4uvz » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for that idea..not familiar with the dongle ..does it provide live video or just screen capture?

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:11 am

I'm not sure exactly what its capabilities are, as I haven't taken mine out of the box yet ;) - however, it's intended for the Portsdown TX to enable an analogue video source (camera/whatever) to be used as the source for the TX, so I assume that it is (or can be) set up to capture full frame rate video and present it as a data stream on the USB bus...

I guess Noel or Dave could give a definitive answer, or have a look at the Wiki to see if there are more details there... I'm just off out to work right now, but you've got me curious about its other capabilities, so I'm going to have to have a look when I get to the office ;)

John

G4uvz

Post by G4uvz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks john..would be interested to hear what you find..mine is deeply seated within my Portsdown...but if the concept works I would buy a second unit
Adrian

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Adrian - I had a look in the wiki, and it appears that the EasyCap does do what you want - it probably needs the drivers supplied with it installing though, unlike when sticking it in a Portsdown Pi...

Have a read, here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Fushicai_USBTV007 there's a bit of info which might help.

John

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 am

Hi Adrian

Normally, you can simply plug a BATC EasyCap into a laptop and view the video input using VLC. It does not seem to need any drivers loaded. Easy!

Dave

Return to “General ATV Discussion”