step up buck regulator

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g6urm

step up buck regulator

Post by g6urm » Tue May 08, 2018 5:15 pm

hi - have the c/o relay I need for the 5.6 ghz stuff - but its 28 v - so I read on the wiki that I need a " step up buck regulator " - well loads of them on fleabay/amooson - but what to get ?? any recommendations ?? - tbh - never come across such a device before - so don't want to get the wrong thing and maybe screw the relay that I was lucky to find new - and cheap - thanks
:? :?
NO idea is too crazy so long as one fool believes they can make it work

g0mjw

Re: step up buck regulator

Post by g0mjw » Tue May 08, 2018 5:26 pm

Not sure a step-up buck regulator exists. You want a boost regulator. However, before you do that take a look at the boards GM3SEK was doing https://gm3sek.com/category/circuit-ideas/ that allows you to switch a 28V relay from 12V

Mike

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Tue May 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Brett
These are a DC up converter; a type I have used. Not for relays but I'm sure you could.
eBay 332597508571

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Tue May 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Brett,
I would recommend the GM3SEK pulse driver circuit, which works very well. I used an Ebay voltage upconverter at first and on my first trip out portable, it filled the 2m band with 59+ noise and prevented talkback. Glad you're getting all the kit together and making good progress.
73 Shaun.

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Tue May 08, 2018 9:41 pm

thanks for the replies folks - guess if they cause interference on 2 the ones from china not a good idea then - lol

actually since the post the answer has been looking me in the face - one of my "clansman " 24 v batteries - will fit in the "support " box I have in mind - so I may use that - as its nice clean DC ....................... always more than one way of skinning a cat as they say ;)

( no cats where harmed in the making of this post ) :o
NO idea is too crazy so long as one fool believes they can make it work

Return to “General ATV Discussion”