Help setting up SATV box please

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G0HIK

Help setting up SATV box please

Post by G0HIK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:04 am

Hi All,

I've toyed with 1.2g digital before and managed to receive GB3TM in the past. I see that GB3TF the Blackpool repeater should be workable from here in South Cumbria. To that end, I dug out my old SATV box, only to find that the remote control has failed, so I cannot set the receivers parameters.

Some time ago I bought a nice little 12v SATV box from one of the cheap stores, with the intention of using it for ATV. I just powered it up and I find that it is not possible to program each channel individually.
My question is, Can I set the frequency and symbol rate in the "TP Scan" menu and will it then find the repeater. I'm not even sure about setting the FEC value in the menu.
If not possibly someone could point me in the right direction for a suitable SATV on E-bay or such like.

Many Thanks

Nick G0HIK

g8vpg

Re: Help setting up SATV box please

Post by g8vpg » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:39 am

Nick,
The way I usually do this is to add a new satellite for ATV channels and name it something like ATV. You can usually find the settings for this in something like antenna settings. It may be by pressing one of the coloured buttons. Once the satellite is set up, add a TP, setting frequency and symbol rate. Universal LNB local oscillators are 9750 and 10600, so for example 1316 would be 11066. FEC is automatic. Then scan the TP and it should find anything on that channel and store it. To save the trouble of setting frequency etc., you could use blind search, but this takes longer. Don’t forget that the rf input socket will have 13-18V coming out for the LNB supply, turn this off in a menu if you can, but check with a voltmeter because this is not always reliable. Otherwise use a dc blocker.
A very nice self-contained satellite receiver is the Satlink range, I think mine is a WS6906.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

G0HIK

Re: Help setting up SATV box please

Post by G0HIK » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info, I was almost there then, but your help has got me going.

I did a scan and managed to receive GB3TM at a distance of 115Km, so pretty happy with that.

Many thanks

Nick G0HIK

Return to “General ATV Discussion”