Bit of Engineering nouse pls?...

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8PEF

Re: Bit of Engineering nouse pls?...

Post by G8PEF » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Good job on the rebuild Wolfie - they are a bit on the fiddly side (I think I've binned one in the past after failing to get it back together, lol)

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:25 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 am

On in other words could you implement a monopulse tracking system. Why not!

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/144d/e ... 911bfe.pdf
http://earthstationnotes.blogspot.co.uk ... art-1.html
Brilliant, Mike - I will have a proper read of those later this week (once I've fixed the car and finished off the household DIY :( )

When I originally acquired this dish it took me a while to work out what was going on with it, as I initially convinced myself that to make sense of the conical scanning, the receiver/control system would need to know the speed and degree of rotation of the sub-reflector - and there didn't seem to any feedback mechanism from the motor to the control electronics.
Is does have a very nice digital inclinometer (intended for aerospace applications by the look of it) on the elevation axis, but nothing for the azimuth, so I suspect that some of the electronics was stripped from it along with the control system before it came to me.

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Mending things is what I do best and this was right up my street, but I didn't want to just bore everyone else to tears..

However, I'm not so hot on the construction side since I always want to leave an item open to revision/improvement later, and where possible use what I already have rather than buying more stuff. This usually means a slightly untidy and el cheapo looking build.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

G8PEF

Post by G8PEF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 pm

Wolfie G8VAT wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:58 pm
Mending things is what I do best and this was right up my street, but I didn't want to just bore everyone else to tears..

However, I'm not so hot on the construction side since I always want to leave an item open to revision/improvement later, and where possible use what I already have rather than buying more stuff. This usually means a slightly untidy and el cheapo looking build.
Haha, I know that feeling well, Graham :)

I'm tryng my very best to make my Portsdown look lke a 'project', rather then most other constructional efforts that resemble someone having filled a blunderbuss with components and fired it roughtly in the direction of the bench...
Last edited by G8PEF on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 am

Hehe...

IN THE OLDEN DAYS... when I was a lad and all that, I remember one of the lads in our TV workshop showing how he constructed circuits in mid air.. 3D like.. then scrunched them up with paper (to prevent shorts) and pushed them in a box! :lol:

It's a method I've refrained from... so far..

I must admit that his stuff did work though.
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “General ATV Discussion”