Laptop display used to make a monitor

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4CPE

Laptop display used to make a monitor

Post by G4CPE » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 pm

There appears to be several display adaptor boards available on Ebay to make use of laptop displays to make a decent VGA/HDMI monitor.
I have ripped apart a faulty 17inch laptop and removed a Samsung LTN170X2-L02 display which appears on the lists of suitable display types for several adaptor board kits for VGA/HDMI.
Has anybody found a display board kit that supports composite video input so the monitor could be used directly with 5GHz FPV receivers.?

Arthur G4CPE

G8JAN

Re: Laptop display used to make a monitor

Post by G8JAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Arthur if you download and install NCH DEBUT from the NCH website on to a laptop or any other PC, you can imput video via an AV socket or an S video socket. If you have a 5 GHZ RX with USB output you can imput video via a USB port. The NCH software is a freebie. I'm currently using a 5GHZ scanning RX with a USB output to my PC's and it works a treat.

Pete
G8JAN

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:40 pm

You can get HDMI->A/V and A/V->HDMI adaptors on ebay for £5 to £5.

e.g. search for "AV2HDMI Composite AV CVBS 3RCA to HDMI 1080p Converter Adapter Video Upscaler HD"

Mike

G4CPE

Post by G4CPE » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks Pete / Mike
Take a look at eBay item 272086508548 this chap (odie 2018 ) lists a load of panels that should work with his controller board.
The board appears to have a variety of input options including AV
73 Arthur

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:16 pm

There's an article in next CQ-TV (due out before Christmas) based on John G7JTT's good experience of using exactly one of those type of devices for an old scrap laptop screen.

The device he used was this one form ebay USA https://www.ebay.com/itm/271757526668?ul_noapp=true

73 Noel - G8GTZ

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Noel interesting find!

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi all just an update to the article in CQTV, I've now boxed the screen by using 35mm X 20mm aluminium angle and added speakers to the board as well. The angle is rapped around the screen by cutting V's out of the 20mm sides at the corners and bending it along the 35mm side to form a right angle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eiwkukb8rqi2u ... 8.jpg?dl=0

The buttons are fitted to the top along with the power LED and IR sensor

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6irlv9y0n2abx ... 9.jpg?dl=0

And a slot is cut to gain access to the inputs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/stkpydl7nb2uw ... 1.jpg?dl=0

The whole lot is held together with hot glue, just need to find a bit of plate to enclose the back.

all best John G7JTT

G4CPE

Post by G4CPE » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:21 pm

I received my controller board today. It powers up OK and gives a picture on all inputs put the colours are wrong (red grass etc.) I think it is the same problem that John encountered with his display at first. I have sent a message to the supplier in the hope he can send the required fix.
The controller has all the inputs required including analogue TV. the laptop screen that I have used is a 17inch LTN170X2-LO2 which the supplier claims will work with this board. I hope to report success soon.
73 Arthur
G4CPE

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 am

I ordered one for a laptop screen using the same chip.
It came with all UI in Chinese, took some time to navigate menu's to set it to English!!!

Anyway it does have the option to disable blue screen, but then i just get a black screen on a noisy composite video input :-(

The tuner input does however show noise though so i can probably utilise that input instead, is this expected or should i have noise on the composite input? if so i may also have to look at different firmware.

Liking the idea of the alu frame, may have to copy that ;-)

Rob

G4CPE

Post by G4CPE » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:56 am

Hi Rob
It would appear that the blue screen is simply changed to a black screen but with a video mute still applied. I have also found that if an RF modulator from a VCR is used on the TV input then it does display a noisy signal without muting the video so this may be a work around solution.
The display that I get is poor at the moment with colours all wrong I am waiting for a reply from the supplier and am hopeful that he will be able to supply a firmware change to fix the problem. Is the video display correct on your screen. ?
73 Arthur
G4CPE

Return to “General ATV Discussion”